37 . DISTANT LOVER

naomiJuly 28th, 2008Harlem, New York

naomi
July 28th, 2008
Harlem, New York

"Now that l've ruined everything
I cannot complain
Now that l've ruined everything
I'm so fucking free
Now that I've ruined everything
Keep it all from me
Now that I've ruined everything
Space is all I need"

"Okay honey, all done. You can pay up at the front."

I smiled at my young client through the mirror at my temporary booth in the salon, before she climbed out the seat and bounded up to the reception desk. Grandma wouldn't let me touch any of her repeat clients yet, but she sent all the kids and teenagers my way. Honestly, I was just happy she had the trust in me to let me work this much. I loved it.

But thankfully, my work day is done. I love what I do but I don't love how bad my feet hurt after a full day at the salon. I don't know how grandma does it at her age.

I lowered myself into my chair, adjusting it to elevate the padded footrest, and finally relax. When I noticed my phone blinking on my shelf, I huffed, reaching over and grabbing it. I smiled immediately at the message from Ky, apologizing for missing my phone call earlier and letting me know he was heading home from playing basketball at the park.

Things with us were great...as usual. I was slowly getting more and more comfortable with his direct and straightforward personality. It was different with Chris. He knew how sensitive I could be and so he sugarcoated everything and talked me to sweet, like a baby. But Ky spoke his mind freely, most of the time in a relaxed tone, and with a New York accent that made everything sound more harsh than it was. Just like my dad, honestly.

I just wasn't used to it from my boyfriend at first.

I responded to his message to let him know I only called to check in, setting my phone down on my thigh and waiting for his response. In seconds, a message popped up that made me smile...and seconds later another one followed that made my stomach turn.

and seconds later another one followed that made my stomach turn