40 . AFTER THE HURRICANE

naomiTappahannock, Virginia10:15AM

naomi
Tappahannock, Virginia
10:15AM

"How could the one I gave my heart to
Break my heart so bad?
How could the one who made me happy
Make me feel so sad?
Won't somebody tell me, so I can understand
If you love me, how could you hurt me like that?"

"Just bring your ass home. Every time you go back to Virginia, you come back with some bullshit."

I smirked, sitting at the foot of my bed in my old bedroom and listening to Dutch on the other end of the phone. Of course I had to call him and tell him my latest drama. I don't know why I still felt a little bothered about yesterday. It just like...at my sons birthday party? Really?

"Don't blame VA. Everything was fine until she said something to me."

"Well don't trip, let Chris handle that." I nodded in agreement as if he could see me. "Y'all good?"

"Yeah, I'm not mad at him. It's not his fault. I did kinda yell at him, but we're fine. He said he'd handle it and I trust that he will."

"Aw, that's growth. You sound like y'all are 13 all over again."

"Shut uppppp. You know I love my baby daddy." I heard him laugh, but it was immediately followed by a beep, letting me know another call was coming through. I checked the screen, seeing it was Raven. "Dutchy, can I call you back?"

"Yeah, later."

"Later." I quickly hung up his call, and picked up hers. "What's up Rae?"

"You at your dads?"

I rose my eyebrow at the urgency in her voice. Her usual greeting was a 'Hey bitch' 'What's up bitch'...but she got straight to the point today. Hello to you too, girl.

"Yeah."

"I'm about to be outside. Roll with me real quick." I heard the ticking of her turning indicator, letting me know she was driving. It was an unspoken kinda rule between the four of us, when it's a 'roll with me' situation, there was usually no questions asked. We've done pop ups on boyfriends, cut school, snuck off to another city for a day...you name it. But it was no questions asked.

"Okay...everything good?"

"Yeah. See you in a second."

We hung up, and I quickly grabbed my oversized gray sweats off the bed, slipping them on before grabbing the first pair of Nike's I saw in my closet. I just made sure my essentials were in my bag and headed straight downstairs and out the front door. To no surprise, Raven's orange Jeep was already outside with the engine running.

"What's going on?" I climbed in the backseat, looking between her and Kenya. I barely got comfortable before she took off down the road.

"I been calling Skye and the bitch ain't picking up, so we swung by her parents crib to get her and they said she left yesterday with that corny ass nigga and went to some motel."