59 . UNDER THE INFLUENCE

NaomiNovember 11th, 2009Hollywood Hills, California

Naomi
November 11th, 2009
Hollywood Hills, California

"A conversation we never had
Replaying in my head
I say the right thing
And you smile just like you used to
Took me way back to when I knew you.
This time, I don't make the same mistakes
I don't ever break your heart
You don't have all you can take
And we don't fall apart
Oh, this can't be real...
Already made my escape
Some things you can't run away from
I wanted to weather the change
Tried my best to outrun the rain
Only way I deal with the pain
I know you feel the same..."

"You trying too hard to not like it Nae."

Chris' laugh coming from behind me irritated me, as he followed me around his relatively empty home in California. The place was nice, a little too flashy for my taste, but still nice. I wouldn't admit it to him though, he was too cocky as it is.

The floor to ceiling glass windows in the living room let the California sun pour into the room and fill it up with a beautiful golden glow. The kitchen had all new stainless steel appliances, thick marble counters, modern light fixtures. Not to mention the spa showers upstairs, six car garage, Olympic sized pool, and greenery patio outside. I wasn't sure how much he spent but it looked like he got his moneys worth, and he better have. With all the money he'd spent on lawyer fees and traveling for his court dates and community service— either he was way richer than I thought he was or he was just plain frivolous.

He offered me the house in New Jersey before he sold it, but I was just fine in my condo, so I turned it down and he ended up selling it for a few million. He's been staying in a high rise apartment in West Hollywood for a couple months while he looked for a house, and I guess he found the one he loved. If you ask me, he could've gotten something just as beautiful in New York or Atlanta.

But I already promised not to argue him down about this anymore.

"It's nice...I like it if you like it." I shrugged, barely even looking his way as I strolled into one of the empty rooms with his two dogs following behind me while they played with CJ.

"Come on, you can't see yourself living here one day?" I could just hear the smirk in his voice when he snuck up behind me, looping his freshly tattooed arms around me and kissing the side of my neck. "Me and you...five more little Brown's running around..."

"Five?" I laughed dismissively, peeling him off of me and turning to face him. "You're out your mind. Maybe for now you should focus on keeping the one we already have clean and in one piece. And out the media."

It's been over two months since the story in the media about Chris' "secret baby." We spent hours going over our options with Tina and his publicist, and as usual, what was best for me and CJ wasn't prioritized. Tina wanted to use our family and our relationship as Chris' redemption story. He had an album dropping in a month and she was convinced that the whole family man, loving father story would be good for his image, and help album sales.