𝟢𝟢𝟣. summer house

──────────── this love

𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐃𝐄 𝐎𝐍𝐄, 𝘚𝘜𝘔𝘔𝘌𝘙 𝘏𝘖𝘜𝘚𝘌
𝟢𝟢𝟣.   summer house

TATE WAS BLINDED by the bright sunlight when she awoke in the morning. It hurt her eyes, partially from the fact that it was beaming in her face and partially from the fact that she had a restless night.

Every night before the girl left, she never slept. She couldn't. Her mind would always raced with thoughts and hopes for the summer. She was high off anticipation.

Every summer, three families gathered in the Fishers' large summer home. The Fishers themselves, the Conklin's and the Smith family—Tate's family.

It was a summertime tradition that started the mothers' senior year of high school that they eventually passed down to their children. It was a constant, even when it felt like the world was ending, and even when Susannah had been diagnosed.

A few summers back, Susannah Fisher had been diagnosed with breast cancer. It was a hard summer for everyone, but they were all glad to learn that Susannah had beat it. Now, she was happy and healthy, ready to start her life again.

Tate was ready to start her summer life again, too, but was nervous about one thing: seeing Conrad Fisher once more.

This summer was the first summer the Smiths would be at Cousins since Tate and Conrad's split. Despite the families never knowing of their romance, the two teenagers did, and today, of every day since, was definitely going to be the hardest.

Tate knew she was over him. It had been a year and a half, of course she had moved on. Last year, she had gotten into a long term relationship with her last boyfriend, Scott, before they ended it at the end. He had been a senior, and was graduating so they decided it would be better to save themselves the trouble of long distance and call it quits, especially considering how well Tate's last long distance relationship had ended.

Despite that, though, the girl was more than excited. She was anxious even, but not for him. She was anxious to see everyone again. It had been a while, so of course everyone had changed, but her especially.

The last time anyone had seen her, she was a small sixteen year old girl who had barely had any experience with life. Now, she was almost eighteen, and just wrapped up her junior year of high school. She was more mature... both physically and emotionally. That's probably why she didn't fear seeing Conrad again. She had grown up, and she had grown to forgive him and forget him as her first love.

Tate rubbed her eyes as she flipped over her comforter, allowing her bare feet to touch the cold hardwood before she slipped on a pair of slippers and headed downstairs, where she could see her mother fitting some more things into a box.

"Good morning, mom," she called out as she passed her mother in the hallway.

"Oh, Tate! Good, you're awake, come over here," her mother, Marie, called out.