𝟢𝟢𝟫. birthday girls

──────────── this love

𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐃𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄, 𝘚𝘜𝘔𝘔𝘌𝘙 𝘕𝘐𝘎𝘏𝘛𝘚
𝟢𝟢𝟫. birthday girls

EVERY BIRTHDAY Tate had ever had, minus the exception of her seventeenth, was spent at the summer house, surrounded by the Fishers and the Conklins. She always celebrated it two days early while Belly celebrated hers. Never once could she has asked for a birthday spend with anyone else, or by herself. She loved sharing her day with Belly, and Belly loved sharing her day with Tate.

Every year it was always the same. Her mother, brother, and Jeremiah would team up and sing her happy birthday to wake her up early in the morning. She would hop in the pool and watch the sunrise and then when she was dried off, she would head inside where Laurel made her and Belly Mickey Mouse pancakes. And for that one day a year, the boys had to include the girls in on everything they ever did. She couldn't have possibly asked for anything more.

FOUR SUMMERS AGO !

Everyone sat around the table, singing the two girls happy birthday as they grinned like fools. Tate sat in between Belly and Conrad as Marie and Laurel placed two plates full of Mickey Mouse pancakes in front of them. Tate's had a 14 candle, and Belly's had a 12.

Finally, the girls blew out the candles as everyone cheered. Conrad, fifteen years old at the time, reached over for the syrup, dropping a figure eight atop Belly's pancakes.

Tate's eyes fixated on it as Belly leaned forward. "What is that?" she asked.

"Infinity. Do you know what that means?"

Belly shook her head. "Isn't it, like, something that never ends?" Tate asked.

Conrad nodded. "I learned it in math class. So, you know how numbers keep getting bigger and bigger?" The girls nodded. "A hundred, a thousand, a million. To get to the biggest number in the world, you'd have to keep counting because there's always a bigger number. It's boundless."

Belly shook her head. "I don't get it."

"Imagine it's a racetrack," Conrad said, pointing at her pancakes. "You see how there's no starting or end point? You could travel endlessly around those curves. Goes on forever. That's infinity."

Tate shrugged, grabbing her fork. "It still doesn't make sense to me."

Conrad laughed.

Tate took a big bite out of her pancakes before turning to Conrad. "Connie, can you pass me the syrup?"

Conrad nodded, reaching for the bottle. He drew a sun atop her pancakes. "How was the sunrise today?"