𝟢𝟥𝟤. haunted

──────────── this love

𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐃𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄, 𝘓𝘖𝘝𝘌 𝘚𝘐𝘊𝘒
𝟢𝟥𝟣. haunted

TATE WOKE UP feeling a little bit lighter. It wasn't much, but it was better than what she felt yesterday. Better than what she felt when she walked into the house. Better than when she saw Conrad again.

She walked down the stairs with a yawn and her hands rubbing the exhaustion out of her eyes. She could hear Conrad in the kitchen, talking on the phone, causing her to slow her pace.

"I know, but you're sure there's no way to access my trust without him? No, I haven't... talked to him about it just yet. But, um, it won't be a problem. He's calling soon and I'll get him to sign off." Tate rounds the corner with Jeremiah behind her. "Okay. Yeah. Thank you."

Conrad sets his phone down on the counter before rubbing his temple in clear irritation.

"Morning," Tate says sweetly, hoping to lighten the mood.

"You want to talk about a plan B?" Jeremiah asks, stepping forward to lean on the kitchen counter.

"There's no time for a plan B, Jere."

"There's no time?" Jeremiah asks. "Come on, dude. Is your ego really that big, or..."

"Aunt Julia's already here." Conrad cuts him off.

"What?"

"Yeah, she got in yesterday. She's at Ocean Harbor." Conrad picks up his phone and scrolls through it.

"You saw her?"

"I mean we talked on the phone for about five seconds. She couldn't be bothered to come to Mom's funeral, but she'll hop on the first flight to come sell this place." Tate could tell he meant to say the last part in his head, but she didn't say anything. She knew he was angry. She was just as.

"I don't get it. Why? What's the big rush?"

"It doesn't matter why. This isn't a game, okay? This is serious shit. So just go back to bed and let me deal with it." Conrad says before walking away and out the door.

Tate sighs and runs a hand through her hair before pushing herself to sit on the kitchen counter. "That went well."

Jeremiah leans on the counter beside her. "You know, he keeps saying he's gonna figure things out. He hasn't figured out shit. Can— can you talk some sense into him? You are the only person that can get through to Conrad."

Tate sighs and her head falls in between her shoulders before she shakes it. "That might've been true earlier, but I doubt it is now."

Jeremiah shakes his head and nudges her shoulder. "It is, Tate. You know it. Conrad always listens to you."

He didn't. Not when it counted most.

She tried to get through to him all those years ago, when he broke her heart in the driveway at her house. She tried to get through to him over the summer. She even tried to get through to him at prom. Every time, he left her alone.