𝟢𝟥𝟦. the final goodbye

──────────── this love

𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐃𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄, 𝘓𝘖𝘝𝘌 𝘚𝘐𝘊𝘒
𝟢𝟥𝟦. the final goodbye

LAST MAY !

THERE HAD ONLY BEEN one other time Tate had seen Conrad in distress. It was the day of his mother's funeral.

When Tate and her family received the call, it was early. Tate knew simply from the timing that it was bad news. Bad news always came early in the morning. It was the kind of news that really couldn't wait.

Tate was sat in the row behind the Fisher's. She was sat in between her mother and brother, small tear drops falling from her eyes while she squeezed her brother's hand. Adrian had always been stone-cold, but that day she saw him shed a couple tears. She'd never seen him cry.

In front of her, she saw Conrad, looking at his mother's closed casket with in unreadable expression, beside him, Jeremiah was a mess.

The pastor gave a less than sentimental eulogy, given that he barely knew her, and when Tate thought it was over, Conrad rose to his feet. He grabbed his guitar and took a seat up beside the casket.

"This was the song that she always asked me to play for her." Conrad says, looking out to everyone before down at his guitar. Slowly and with shaky hands he started strumming, creating a beat for the song Tate knew he was about to play. Last Kiss.

Tate's eyes welded with tears as the boy began to sing. Her heart tugged and broke, and when his voice broke, ending his singing, Tate felt like melting. Every bone in her body ached to run up to him. Hug him. Kiss him. Hold him close. Never let him go.

That's when she made the promise to herself. The promise to never leave his side for the rest of the day. Maybe not for the rest of eternity.

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

After the funeral was cold. Everyone dressed in black suit and dresses, a cloud of melancholy hovering over them like the plague.

Tate didn't like it. Susannah wouldn't have wanted it.

She would have wanted everyone to be smiling and having fun.

It was a funeral, though. It was practically a prerequisite to be sad all damn day.

Tate was situated in a far corner, away from everyone else as she half-listened to the conversation her mother was having with a fellow guest, when she caught eyes of Belly at the food table, piling on food to two different plates.

Tate quickly excused herself and walked over. "Hey, Bells."

Belly looked up from the plated. "Oh, Tate. Hi."