18: Spill

"Come on. Don't be such a slow poke!" Enid joked as she jogged ahead of me.

"This is like high school track all over again!" I panted as I pushed myself to keep up with her. The past few days Enid had been helping me train to build muscle to help heal up the last of the injury. After finding out that my father was still alive I was determined to break him out of the Sanctuary!

"Only difference is that I'm younger and beating your ass." Enid said proudly.

"I'm not as young as I once was." I rolled my eyes at her as we came to a stop at the top of the hill. We looked over the fence and watched birds fly by. I yearned to be as free as them.

"You miss being out there, don't you?" Enid spoke softly.

"I do." I sighed, smiling sadly.

"If you want out you'd better make some friends here!" Enid nudged my shoulder as I followed her down a path towards the training area.

In the trees a bunch of targets were set up with archers standing ten feet away. I smirked as I watched them shoot. Some were good while others needed some lessons.

"What are you looking at?" A man asked, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"I was just watching. I hope I didn't interrupt." I bit the inside of my cheek.

"Ruby is actually quite talented when it comes to archery." Enid stepped forward.

"What makes ya think she can teach us anything?" The brown haired man asked.

"Believe it or not she taught me, Oscar." Enid said sincerely. "She's on our side."

"But she was Negan's wife!" Oscar seethed.

"I had to in order to keep Hilltop and Alexandria safe!" I defended myself. "You don't have to trust me. But trust that I will do anything to ensure the safety of everyone here and in Alexandria!"

Oscar glared at me as the other hill toppers gathered around.

"I want to help take down Negan. I'll do whatever you guys need me to!" I released a deep breath. Oscars glare softened as he debated what to do. Even the others seemed less angry at me.

"Give her a chance." Enid nudged Oscar's arm.

Oscar licked his lips before handing me his bow and quiver, "Show us what you're made of."

I grinned as I slid the quiver over my shoulder and arched an arrow from where we were standing. I motioned for the group to move out of my way as I aimed through the trees to the targets.

"You're a Dorlano." Fathers words echoed in my head.

I released a breath as my fingers let go of the bow string, sending it flying through the trees directly into the centre of the target. The group gasped and cheered. A rush of adrenaline and happiness washed over me as I relished the feeling of shooting once again. I really did miss it!

"Think you can teach us to shoot like that?" Oscar grinned.

"Definitely." I smiled back.

For the rest of the afternoon I taught the group my techniques and the basics to bow hunting and shooting. By quitting time everyone was hitting close to the centre of the target! Before leaving the training area the group painted war stripes around my eyes and even braided my hair in two strands and pulled it back.

I grinned as I sat around the fire with Enid, Maggie and Rosita.

"Good day?" Maggie raised an eyebrow.