36: Strategize

Dew was visible on the green grass as fog hovered over Alexandria like a blanket

Dew was visible on the green grass as fog hovered over Alexandria like a blanket. It wouldn't last much longer as night turned to day. The sun began to brighten the earth as it peaked over the hills in the distance. Birds chirped and sang tunes acting as an alarm clock, waking each member of Alexandria.

My day had already started as I sat on the porch of mine and Daryl's house, drank coffee, which may have been spiked with rum, and ate an apple. It was a daily routine. Wake up, saunter down to the kitchen to have coffee and a bite to eat, sit on the porch until I was awake enough to function, and then meet everyone at the church to strategize our next move.

After the radio chat with Negan, Daryl and I had begun talking again. However, we did keep some distance since I had revealed to Negan that I was still alive. We slept in separate rooms which was kind of nice. Being close to him yet having space to sort through my emotions was what I needed at the moment. And with Daryl being himself, he was protective of me and wanted to keep me out of harms reach. I admired that he still cared, despite everything, but my mind couldn't wrap around that concept. The one thing I mostly enjoyed was having that presence and feeling of safety nearby which allowed me to sleep a bit better at night. I could definitely get used to it but knew better as this was only temporary. Soon I'd be living in solitude.

"Morning." Daryl grumbled, lighting a cigarette as he joined me on the porch.

"Morning." I replied, taking a sip of my concoction. "There's coffee made."

"Don't got time." Daryl puffed.

"Want some of mine?" I offered. Daryl surprisingly took my mug and downed half of my drink before handing it back. My lips curled into a smirk, "Good hey?"

Daryl wiped his mouth as he leaned his back on the porch railing, "Tastes more like rum than coffee."

"Gotta start the day off strong!" I downed the rest of my drink before setting the cup beside my feet.

"That'll do it." Daryl murmured, gazing over his shoulder as footsteps approached.

"Good morning." Enid jogged up the steps.

"Good morning." I smiled at her as I stood up. "What brings you over?"

"The meeting is about to start." She panted, handing me my bow and quiver, "I also thought you'd like these."

Smiling, I took my possessions back, "I thought I had left them at Hilltop."

"You did." Enid smiled, "Maggie sent them up with Jesus. She also sent a message."

My brows furrowed as I slung my bow and quiver over my shoulder, "What's that?"

"She hopes you two can have a chat. Sooner rather than later." Enid's smile grew. My brows practically knitted together forming a unibrow as I was utterly confused as to why Maggie wanted to meet with me.