23: Choices

"Think we can fit this in the truck?" Aaron asked me, pointing to a tree stand kit.

"Should be able to." I grinned, packing up bins full of supplies and clothing from the store.

"We'll make room." Rick took the box from Aaron and took it out to the truck immediately. Aaron and I laughed lightly at Rick's determination. It was good to see the change in my friend since everything went downhill. The group needed the old Rick from before Alexandria. I knew that side of him was still there but it needed to be resurrected. Someone had to remind him who he was!

"Was there any other stores nearby worth checking?" Carl wiped away some sweat from his forehead.

I shook my head, "My fathers group ransacked the other stores around here."

"Then how come there's so much left here?" Aaron cleared his throat.

"We took inventory from the back of the warehouse. The brand-new, still in the box, items." I explained. "The boxes came in handy for storage."

"Wow! That must be some camp your group found." Aaron whistled. I could tell he wanted to know more but didn't press.

"It is." I agreed, not wanting to reveal any further details.

"Trucks are filled up. Let's not waste any more time around here." Daryl informed us.

"Alright. Grab the last few items and return to the trucks." I carried a box with four sleeping bags out to the truck. Tara, Carl and Aaron brought out smaller boxes of gear and clothing to add.

Carl, Aaron, and Rick drove off with the large army truck that Abraham once drove while Tara, Daryl and I squeezed into a smaller truck that had the rest of the gear strapped down in the rear.

"The group will be set for winter now." Tara grinned.

"Indeed." I smiled happily.

"If only that were a gun shop!" Tara commented as the truck tore down the road. My smile faded as I imagined the gruesome war ahead of us. Daryl must've noticed my uneasiness as he squeezed my thigh gently. I gave him a reassuring nod. Fortunately he was driving and couldn't decipher my facial expressions. But Tara could.

Tara analyzed me carefully before mouthing, "What's wrong?"

I mouthed back, "I'll explain later."

Tara only nodded before she returned to staring out the window. The vehicle remained silent until we returned to Alexandria and unloaded our findings.

Everyone pitched in as we unloaded and handed out gear. Relief was apparent on every group members faces as they took winter clothing and gear to their houses. This group still had a fighting chance.

"That's the last of it." Jesus hopped out of the rear of the big truck.

"I don't think I've seen such a successful scavenge before!" Morgan grinned.

"It's all thanks to Ruby." Rick pointed towards me. The group smiled appreciatively, besides Carol and Sasha.

"This wasn't all me." I dusted off my hands on my jeans. "The six of us did a lot of work!"

"You know what I mean." Rick scoffed.

"We've made spaghetti for dinner. You're all welcome to join us." Michonne grinned as she carried Judith. She greeted Rick by planting a kiss on his lips.

"We'd be delighted to join." I answered on Daryl's and my behalf. Daryl rubbed my lower back gently as we followed Rick, Carl, Michonne and Enid to the house.