31: Landmine

Recap:

"He's not going anywhere!" I hissed.

"We have to leave now!" Gabriel argued.

"Negan can't escape! I won't let that happen!" I began limping towards the nearest entrance.

Before I could reach the entrance into the Sanctuary Gabriel stopped me, "You're hurt Ruby! You need to see a doctor!"

"I'm not leaving until I see his dead corpse!" I spat.

"He's gone." Another voice caught my attention. Slowly turning I noticed Rick. Blood covered his once clean clothes. Even the hatchet in Rick's hand was dripping with blood.

"No." I shook my head in disbelief. "He has to be here!"

Rick wiped blood from his forehead and sighed, "He's gone."

"No!" I screamed, kicking at a dead walker. The action only caused the pain in my side to escalate making me tumble to the ground. Wincing, I cursed under my breath, "Shit!"

"Wait. Wait. Whoa!" Rick steadied me as I groaned.

"We'll get you out of here." Gabriel sat me upright.

"Sure, whatever." I winced as he began to carry me towards the vehicles.

As Gabriel carried me away from the Sanctuary I glanced over his shoulder at the place I once considered home. The yellow balcony was now destroyed and everything around it was burnt from the explosion. In the distance I could faintly hear screams as more gunshots and explosions erupted. Black smoke billowed out of the Sanctuary into the blue sky making the sun appear blood red and barely visible.

"Put her in the RV and take her to Alexandria!" Rick ordered. Gabriel followed Rick's instructions and carried me into the RV, placing me on the bed in the rear. I winced as I adjusted to the new position. Sliding the quiver off my shoulder I placed the bow and arrows next to me on the mattress. Being mindful of my injury I carefully scooted to the edge of the bed and peered through the blind.

Flames erupted from various spots in the roof and even exploded out of windows. It was safe to say that the Sanctuary was no longer a home for the Saviors as walkers would now infest it. They would need a new home. Perhaps one of their outposts would do for now. But if Negan was alive I knew it wouldn't be enough for him. If he was alive I knew he would be plotting his revenge. I prayed that he was dead in the bush somewhere or burning inside the Sanctuary. If not, God help us all.

...

"Where's Daryl?" A lump formed in my throat.

Gabriel didn't answer my question which only agitated me more. It was if I were non existent.

"Where is Daryl?!" I repeated, holding onto my side as I limped towards the middle of the RV. As I reached the table Carl and Michonne dashed inside.

"Where's Rick?" Gabriel asked Michonne.

"He's on his way!" Michonne barked out as her eyes narrowed on me. Before she could spit out whatever insult she had brewed up Carl pushed past her and engulfed me in a firm hug.