15: Escapee's

"We cannot be sure that we have something worth living for unless we are ready to die for it." ~Erie Hoffer.

I sat up panicked and sweaty. The room around me was blurry as I tried to make out where I was.

"Where am I?" I croakily asked, patting the furniture around me. It sounded as if I had chain smoked my entire life! My throat felt extremely scratchy and sore as if I had screamed my lungs off.

"Ruby, please lay down!" A man said from beside me.

My head snapped towards him, "Who are you?"

"It's me! It's Harlan!" He held his hands out in front of him defensively.

I blinked profusely until I gained my sight back. My defences lowered as I finally recognized where I was—Harlan's trailer at the Hilltop.

"How did I get here?" I coughed. Then winced at the pain it caused in my stomach.

My eyes widened as I felt my stomach and lifted my tank top to reveal the huge bandage that covered half of my lower abdomen.

"Am I still..?"

Harlan shook his head as it lowered.

"No." My voice cracked as it wobbled. I shook my head profusely in disbelief that this was real. Tears immediately started forming and dropping down my face. "No, no, no!"

"I'm sorry Ruby." Harlan reached his hand out towards me.

"Don't touch me!" I snapped, racing towards the door. Once outside I took in a deep breath of fresh air and stumbled as the sun blinded me. One hand held my stomach while the other blocked out the light. Surprisingly, I was still in my attire from the Sanctuary. Only difference was that I was wearing a thin black jacket.

"Ruby you need to rest!" Harlan followed behind me.

"I need some air!" I yelled at him as I continued to walk towards the gate. People from Hilltop stopped and stared as I continued forward.

"I must insist that you go back inside." Harlan snatched my arm, stopping me from advancing any further.

Anger raced through me as I spun towards him with a menacing scowl on my face. My teeth gritted together as I spoke, "Don't. Touch. Me!"

Harlan's eyes widened as he released his grip on me and backed away slowly. I did my best to calm myself by taking deep breaths but all it did was cause my stomach to ache. Holding my side protectively I backed away from Harlan and the group of Hilltoppers. I walked away from the group of frightened and worried people as I did my best not to show I was in pain. Last thing I wanted was their pity.

Once I was out of sight of everyone I dropped to my knees and allowed the tears to escape. Anger, sadness and frustration raced through me as I belted out a scream. How could this happen? Why me?!

 How could this happen? Why me?!

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.