29: Suiting Up

Twenty Four Hours

Twenty Four Hours..

That was the amount of time there was left before the groups would show up at the Sanctuary's doorsteps. Fear trickled up my spine causing goosebumps to raise on my skin. Facing the people I considered family and being seen as the enemy didn't feel right. Everyone besides Carol and Rick would despise me but I knew it was the right thing to do. I was glad that Carol and Rick understood. I at least had their trust. If I survived this war maybe, just maybe I would be seen as a hero. But I highly doubted that Daryl would see it as heroism. He'd see it as betrayal and stupidity.

Was it stupid? Yes, yes it was. Was I betraying the people I cared about? Technically I wasn't betraying the groups but I was betraying Daryl's trust.

The past few days I had been second guessing my decision to return to the Sanctuary. Dwight had caught me pondering a few times and kept reminding me that I was doing the right thing. His reassurance felt good in the moment but guilt lingered in the back of my mind.

"You coming to the meeting?" Regina knocked on the door, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Yes, how could I forget?" I rolled my eyes, finishing up a letter.

"I'll escort you." Regina crossed her arms over her chest, leaning in the doorway.

"I'll be right there." I said sternly, sending her a glare.

Regina rolled her green eyes, sighing, "Your funeral."

"For your sake I'd better be dead." I muttered, hiding the letter behind the picture frame once Regina was out of sight.

Regina was a muscular Latina with short black hair. Most days she had it spiked up in a mow-hawk or slicked back. She liked being one of Negan's trusted hands. If anything ever happened to Dwight she'd be next in line. She was a loyal servant to Negan but the biggest pain in the ass to me. It felt like I always had eyes on me where ever I was. Sure enough they were hers. Negan had put her in charge of watching me while Dwight secured the perimeter. I would never tell Dwight I missed having him around as I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing.

Walking down the hallway I came upon the cafeteria where everyone stood and chatted amongst themselves. Every person was either anxious, nervous or excited for the upcoming fight. I personally felt all three of them. First, I was anxious because I wasn't sure the plan would work. Secondly, I was nervous about having to resort to my plan B. And thirdly, I was excited to get this over with. Quite the mix.

"Sometime in the next twenty-four fucking hours we will be expecting company!" Negan bellowed, "I expect every last one of you to be ready for whatever outcome may occur. As leader I will of course offer them mercy and a chance to reconsider. But I will put an end to those rebels once and for all!"

I leaned against the railing and watched as the crowd cheered in agreement.

After a long moment Negan continued, "We have an advantage which gives us the upper hand. They won't fucking know what hit them until it's too late! We will show them what Saviors are made of and we will teach every fucking last one of those fuckers that we are not to be fucked with!"