37: The Day Before

*****Warning: X-rated scene******

Twenty four hours flew by as everyone prepared for the fight of their lives. And we all hoped that this would be the last one.. My father immediately left to inform the Coalition of the news while Morgan delivered the news to The kingdom, Jesus returned to Hilltop to rally the troops. Enid tagged along with Jesus to send a message back to Maggie from me which simply was, 'We'll chat after we win.' The rest of us stayed put in Alexandria and did our best to fortify the borders so that the few people that stayed behind wouldn't be completely screwed if the Saviors somehow won.

"You can take a break, you know?" Aaron said as I hammered nails into the metal siding of the wall to make sure it was sturdy.

"Don't got time for breaks!" I panted, refusing to stop.

"You've been at this for hours!" Aaron exclaimed.

"Hours you say?" I wiped sweat from my forehead. Looking up at the sky I could tell it was around noon. Before hammering again I said, "Still have plenty of daylight. Better not waste it!"

"Ruby.." Aaron reached for my arm.

"Don't!" I warned, holding the hammer up in a threatening stance.

Slowly backing away Aaron held his hands in front of him, "I'm just trying to help."

"And what does it look like I'm tryna do?" I remarked.

"Hey." Daryl said softly from behind me, taking hold of the hammer with one hand while the other held onto my waist. I immediately relaxed under his touch and released the hammer before turning to face him.

"Hey." I spoke lowly.

"Let's hunt." He handed my bow and quiver to me. Smiling, I took my belongings and slung them over my shoulder before following Daryl through some trails. The woods weren't as packed with animals as they used to be. Whether it was from us hunting for game or the damn walkers eating whatever they could. It took us a two hour hike before we finally spotted some wild turkeys.

The crunch of the birds necks snapping always made me shudder no matter what. I allowed Daryl the honours of doing that while I cleaned off the arrows. Once Daryl was satisfied with our four turkeys we began our trek back to camp. What I liked about hunting was the thrill of the chase and how quiet you had to be. But, on the way back that's when conversations could be had. Yes, Daryl and I were on good terms but I had no idea what to talk to him about especially after everything that had happened. I tried to pretend that things were good as it was—being just friends. But, deep inside it was killing me. I longed for Daryl.

"Feel better?" Daryl broke the silence.

"Nothing that a hunt can't fix." I answered.

Daryl chuckled, "Ain't that the truth."