24: Fork in the Road

Grey clouds draped over me even though it was a beautiful sunny autumn day. Rick seemed satisfied with the knowledge that he'd have someone on the inside of the Sanctuary. Why wasn't I satisfied? I volunteered after all so, why did it feel like there was a huge gaping hole in my chest?

Daryl..

I felt guilty that I was leaving him when I promised we'd never be parted again.

This is for everyone, I kept telling myself. This is for Glenn, Abraham, Olivia, Denise, Spencer, David, and all the others we had lost!

I refused to allow their deaths to be in vain! Daryl would not agree with me but he would have to accept it.

"Where'd ya disappear to?" A deep gruff voice interrupted my thoughts.

Speaking of the devil.

"Rick and I were chatting." I answered Daryl.

"Does he not agree with the plan?"

"At first he didn't but after our chat he seems more enthusiastic." I lied.

My lie must've been believable as Daryl nodded his head. "We should head out and inform your father what has been decided."

"That was also what Rick and I discussed." I swallowed a lump in my throat. "We decided that Carol and I will travel to the camp."

"Carol?" Daryl raised a brow suspiciously.

"I thought—Rick thought it would be good for the two of us to reconcile on this trip."

"When are ya heading out?"

"Tonight." I bit the inside of my cheek.

"Why not in the morning?"

"If Carol and I travel by car this evening we'll stay the night there and then return in the morning." I explained.

"I'm coming with ya!"

"Carol and I can handle ourselves." I assured him.

"Ya know what I mean, Ruby."

"We'll return in one piece." I brushed a strand of hair out of his eyes. "I promise."

My heart stung as I knew that yet again that was a promise I was breaking..

I could see a battle wage inside of Daryl as his jaw clenched. He didn't want to be separated from me nor did I want to be away from him. But I needed to do this. I had to!

"Fine." Daryl huffed. "Until then I plan on keeping ya all to myself."

"I like the sound of that." I leaned in, planting a soft kiss on his lips. "What shall we do first?"

"I have a few ideas in mind." Daryl smirked. Butterflies filled my stomach at the thought of everything he would do to me...

————————————————

Daryl zipped up his pants before buckling his belt while I gradually pulled on my jeans and slid my tank top over my bra. When I stood my legs wobbled and gave out as I tumbled to the floor.

"Ya okay there?" Daryl raised a brow.

"Never better." I winked, pulling myself up by the bed post. Daryl had blown my back out as if he would never see me again. I wasn't complaining about being sore but the thought of this being our last day together did leave me feeling empty inside. Was this a good idea? I was beginning to have second thoughts on the whole situation. Surely we could defeat Negan without sending someone in, right?