16: Apologies and Questions

"Ruby," Negan's deep voice gently called out. "Come to me."

"Come to me." His voice echoed in my head as I woke up.

A few tears rolled across my face as my eyes fluttered open. Had I cried in my sleep? As I became more conscious I realized my hands held my stomach protectively. Even subconsciously I mourned the loss of the baby. Sighing, I laid on my back and stared at the white popcorn ceiling.

"One day at a time." I whispered to myself. Those five words were what I always told myself when grieving a loss.

A sharp pain raced through my abdomen into my back as I slowly sat up. I squeezed my eyes shut and winced, using the dresser to my right to help pull myself up. Pain killers were sounding mighty fine at this point. A light knock sounded at the door.

"You awake?" Enid asked.

"I'm awake." I opened the door and winced at the pain.

Worry spread across her face, "Let me take you to Harlan."

"No." I shook my head. "I'm fine."

Enid sighed and helped me to the kitchen table. "What would you like for breakfast?"

"What are my options?" I sat down slowly in the booth.

"Oatmeal or a sandwich."

"I'll have some oatmeal." I laughed lightly.

"What's so funny?" Enid handed me a bowl and sat across from me.

"Can't believe I'm saying this but I missed having oatmeal every morning." My mouth watered as I took a spoonful. The bit of brown sugar on top was my favourite part.

"What was the food like inside the Sanctuary?" Enid asked.

I paused and eyed her before taking another bite. Sighing, I answered, "It was good."

"That's it? Thought there'd be a gourmet chef."

I grinned lightly, "The cooks were good. Nothing too fancy though. I think the best dish I had was steak and rice."

"I'd kill for some steak." Enid laughed lightly.

"We should take one of those cows and butcher it. That would give everyone here a steak for dinner."

"I wish but I doubt they'd allow it."

"Still got that bow?" I asked between mouthfuls.

"Yeah. Why?"

"We should go hunting." I smirked.

"Would have to ask Maggie." Enid frowned.

"Ask her? Can't we just head out?" My brows furrowed.

"I can but you can't."

"May I ask why?"

"It's better if you ask Maggie." Enid smiled sadly.

This should be good. Not! Whatever Enid hid from me wasn't good. I mentally prepared myself for that conversation. After breakfast Enid helped me over to Harlan's trailer.

"Need some pain killers, huh?" Harlan eyed me up and down. "You held out longer than I thought you would."

"I'm not sure if I should take that as a compliment or not." I frowned. I knew he wasn't pleased with me especially after I snapped at him and held a scalpel to his neck.

Harlan went to his cupboard and grabbed a bottle of Tylenol. "Here, this should tie you over for the day. If the pain worsens be sure to come back."

"Thank you." I took the two Tylenol and swallowed it back. As I stood to leave I paused and turned to Harlan. "I shouldn't have snapped at you yesterday. I know you were just trying to help. It wasn't right of me."