30: All Out War

"Well shit." Negan slipped through the door with Lucille propped against his shoulder. Eugene, Regina, Gavin, and Dwight trickled out behind him while I waited until my queue. Negan chuckled, "I'm sorry. I was in a meeting."

I gulped as my heart began beating sporadically. The moment I had been dreading finally arrived. When no one was looking I double checked my pockets to make sure my letter and Plan B were with me. Having them brought me some relief. But it wasn't enough.

Outside the fence was two dozen vehicles covered in sheet metal acting as a barrier between them and the bullets/ arrows the Saviors would be shooting at them. I had to hand it to Rick and the others; It was a smart idea.

Before the groups showed up Negan had a group of Saviors set up a second line of defence outside of the fence—walkers chained together. Their growls echoed and grew louder as they waited for anyone to near.

"I see you got your little mudflaps with you." Negan chuckled, "So, I'm not exactly feelin' a reason for us to try throwin' lead at each other. I care about my people. Now I'm shocked Rick 'cause Eugene here used to be one of your own! And you're still pointing that damn gun at us?"

"He made his choice!" Rick yelled.

Negan sighed, shaking his head, "Oh Rick.. I don't want to just march my people into the line of fire because I want play 'my dіck is bigger than yours.' It is. We both know it. But I'm also comfortable enough to accept the fact if it wasn't. I'm certainly not gonna let my people die over that shit... like you're about to. So, Rick, what the hell can I do for you?"

"Dwight. Your name's Gavin," Rick named off, pausing when he pointed at Regina, "And you..."

"Regina." She answered.

"Rick," Eugene started.

"No. I know who you are." Rick narrowed his gaze slightly before moving onto his speech, "Listen, you five. The Saviors inside. All of you have a chance to survive here. To survive this! You all can live if you surrender. Can't guarantee it any time but now. Right now!"

"So, they surrender... and you and your little piss patrol doesn't kill them. That sounds like a good deal! What about me, Rick?"

"I told you. Twice! You know what's going to happen." Rick seethed.

From where I stood in the shadows of the doorway I could see Negan's jaw twitch. He was not happy with receiving death threats. I could only imagine the murderous thoughts that were swirling through his brain.

"I do. I do know what's gonna happen. You don't! You have no idea the shit that's about to go down!" Negan paced along the railing. "Let me ask you something, Rick—Do you think you have the numbers for this fight? You don't!"

Clearing his throat, Negan gazed over his shoulder at me, "Ruby? Care to speak some sense into your former friends?"

Stepping out of the safety of the shadows I entered the light, allowing the groups to see me. I could faintly hear gasps above the walkers growls as I approached Negan and stood at his side. My quiver slung over my shoulder while I held onto my bow with a death grip. Slowly, I shifted my gaze from the railing to the fence where I could somewhat see Rick's gaze through the metal sheets that were acting as a shield on the vehicles. Rick still appeared the same but instead of being broken he appeared determined. That was the Rick I knew. That was the leader I knew I could follow back at the church!