35: The List Goes On

The feeling of Daryl's kiss lingered on my lips for a long while as I processed everything

The feeling of Daryl's kiss lingered on my lips for a long while as I processed everything. Carl was dying and despite everything Daryl still had feelings for me. What was going on with this world?!

I was utterly confused by my own feelings to top it off. My love for Daryl never changed but.. maybe I had. I knew I loved him but I wasn't sure I was ready to receive love.

A knock at the door could be heard as I continued to stare at the ceiling above me. That night I had barely slept at all on the couch in Carol's and Morgan's previous home. My mind wouldn't allow me any rest as it roamed over every detail of every memory I had of Carl and all the ones we had lost. All the good and bad memories played in loops as I cried until I could no longer.

"Hey, you awake?" A muffled voice called.

It wasn't that I didn't hear the person I just had no energy to respond or to acknowledge their existence.

"Ruby?" The voice said a bit louder as they gently shook my shoulder. Jumping up I reached for my sword as Aaron backed away with his hands raised.

"It's me!" His eyes were wide as he gulped.

Before sliding my sword back into its sheath I eyed him up and down. Once my body was off of fight mode I was able to speak, "My bad."

Aaron released a shaky breath as his arms fell to his sides, "Did you manage to get any sleep?"

"What does it look like?" I put more weight on my left leg as my right was killing me today.

"Looks like you got fuck all for sleep." Aaron sighed.

"Bingo was his name-O!" I winked, snapping my fingers as I pointed at him. "So, what brings you here?"

"I could tell you but I think you already know the answer." Aaron crossed his arms over his chest.

My gaze shifted to him as sadness crossed over him. He was right; I already knew the answer. Aaron was wise not to say the words out loud as I would've had another breakdown.

"Where's Rick?" My voice wobbled.

"He's in the graveyard." Aaron smiled sadly before leaving me alone with my thoughts.

I trudged into the kitchen and forced myself to drink water as I knew I would become dehydrated if I didn't. After gulping down four cups I made my way to Rick.

As I limped through the streets people watched me curiously or cautiously. Whatever it was I didn't care. They all turned blurry as I ignored them. All except one.

"Enid?" I slowed down.

Enid smiled sadly at me as she marched up to me and engulfed me in a hug. The waterworks began as she sobbed into my shoulder. My protectiveness took over as I rubbed her back and told her everything would be alright. After a few minutes she let go.