E X T R A I

Tristian and Arthur were back in the real world. Two weeks after losing Cyril, it was finally time for the finals. They had one member missing, so they replaced Cyril with someone else from their university's surfing team. Surprisingly, he was good and he won the second heat. 

Now the score between Australia VS New Zealand was 1-1. The pressure was on Tristian, to finally win Australia the winter cup. Tom Wayward was on his way to beat him down into the waves. They moved into the waves, and the moment his board got stable, Tom jumped up and began performing his manoeuvres, he had already performed two by the time Tristian started his first one. 

"Tristian! Oh no! We're going to lose!" Arthur pressed his forehead. They both did a roundhouse cutback and 

"He's leading behind," Mr White, their captain, stood beside Arthur, "If he doesn't pull something spectacular, or perform his manoeuvres faster, he's is most definitely going to lose,"
"TRISTIAN! YOU CAN DO IT!"

Tristian focused and rose his body to perform a smooth frontside turn on the bottom of the wave, where the water started to go flat. He leaned on his toes, got the rail into the water and started to run.

"A BOTTOM TURN!" The commentator yelled.
"ATTA BOY!" Arthur clapped his hands, "GO TRISTIAN!"
"Wow, where'd you learn that from? Cyril Edwards?" Tom Wayward gave him a mocking smile, and went ahead, performing a bottom turn. The commentators yelled and the crowd was loud. Tom Wayward had improved so much from the previous year, he was even more difficult to overcome. 

As Tristian thought that, Tom did an effortless Roundhouse Cutback, "I'm still better"
And suddenly, he missed Cyril. He missed him so much, his chest began to ache. He pressed his fingers against the waves as if leaning onto them for support. And he felt as if the waves pushed him back. He looked at the waves and saw Cyril's reflection inside, looking back at him. Tristian seemed to hold Cyril's hand through the waves, and he went up the wave.

"What the fuck is he doing?! Young man! Get a hold of yourself, what happened to you?!" Mr White yelled. He blocked him on his turf, "He's a grass cutter!"
"I can't believe we lost to them again," Mr White sighed and turned back, refusing to watch it any longer as the commentators yelled, "AND THAT IS NEW ZEALAND'S FINAL JUMP, BUT WAIT WHAT IS THAT?!" He turned at the commentators' words.

Tom was ready to do his last manoeuvre and he jumped up with his board, when suddenly, he felt a shadow above up and looked up, Tristian was much above his board, high in the air, when he grabbed his board while rolling his body in the air until his body was doing a headstand in the air, the board flipped thrice until Tristian finished his backflip, everyone was staring with their mouths wide open, it almost seemed as if he was flying in the air, no one had ever seen anything like that, so slow, elegant and graceful, as if he was a god of the ocean. The board spiralled down like a corkscrew, and Tristian feet landed on it vertically, creating the image of a diving kingfisher, which fell flat into the sea, rose up to the waves, and slid down back into the waves. 

"OH MY GOD! WHAT WAS THAT?!"
"I GUESS WE WILL CALL IT THE TRISTIAN FLIP"
"THAT WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL TRICK I HAVE SEEN IN TWENTY YEARS!"
"CALM DOWN DAVID! CALM DOWN! Let's see what the judges have for us!"

"Third place, South Africa, second place, New Zealand and in the first place, AUSTRALIA!"

The crowd almost seemed to go crazy.

"OH SHIT! WE WON! WOW! WOHOOO! YES TRISTIAN! YES!" Arthur yelled as Tom Wayward kicked the water and fell backwards, into the water, "EW! THIS SALT!"
"AFTER FIVE CONSECUTIVE YEARS OF DEFEAT, AUSTRALIA IS FINALLY A WORLD SURFBOARDING CHAMPION!"
"ALL THANKS TO TRISTIAN WHITE!"
"WE FINALLY HAVE A LEGENDARY SURFER! WHERE IS HE?"
"WHERE DID HE GO?!"

Tristian sat near the reef and looked into the water, "I know it's you. Please, talk to me, Cyril. Tell me I just didn't dream of you," But he wasn't there anymore, "Cyril Edwards,"
"TRISTIAN WHITE!" Arthur suddenly hugged him from behind, "YOU ARE AUSTRALIA'S PRIDE! WOOHOO! WE WON! WE FUCKING WON, MATE! OH MY GOD! This is a dream come true! It's happening to us!" Tristian looked into Arthur's eyes, "We won?"

"Of course we did! You're the best!"
Tristian smiled and looked at the ocean, "Cyril would be so happy if he were here right now,"
Arthur's smile faded away and he touched the tattoo on his chest, "Yes, he would,"

They looked at the waves reaching for the horizon, "I feel like he's happy," Tristian broke the silence, "He is the ocean, now...He helped me win. He grabbed me by my hand, I could almost feel him and Cyra, they were with me, in that turf,"
Arthur smiled at him, "You really miss him, huh,"

"I'm not lying, you have to believe-"
"TRISTIAN MILLER!" They heard the commentators scream, "Come let's go!" Arthur grabbed Tristian by his hand, "We'll think about all these depressing things later! Right now, it's time to have fun!" And they run on the beach, leaving two pairs of footprints on the sand, and as the ocean waves washed the sand, the two pairs turned into four.