Sign 1 Sunday Morning Star

It was a Sunday morning. Through his blue eye, he could look at the blue lights in his phone, his smile turned towards his phone screen. His biceps reached his shaving kit and his fingers picked out his shaving foam while the fingers on his right hand were busy typing on his phone. Rock music was playing softly on a stereo kept on his bed, sinking beneath his heavy white sheets. He would pause between shaving to tap on his phone. He washed his sandy brown hair in the sink and his phone buzzed. He quickly threw a towel on his head and his green eye looked into his phone screen. He giggled as he typed.

His wet hair was sticking to his tanned neck which was covered with red freckles which extended till his wing bones, slowly hatching into a tattoo of a blue whale, tracing his backbone till his thoracic spine. He sprayed half a bottle of cologne and wore a red sweatshirt over his black shorts. He kept his phone aside and looked into the mirror. There was a brown beauty mark right beside his mouth, he covered his green eye with a blue lens. Now, both his eyes were blue.

His phone had been buzzing nonstop for the past week. And he had been smiling nonstop for one week. He sat on his bed and switched the music to some old Finnish song. As an Australian, his curiosity and admiration towards Finnish culture had turned to a dangerous obsession.

He knew that "Minä rakastan sinua" meant "I love you" in Finnish. But he never learnt Finnish in the past twenty years and initially, he had no plans of learning it anytime soon, not until last week.

His sweat shone on his tanned face as droplets of water fell from his wet, unkempt hair. He was too busy texting to notice the temperature in his room. The Finnish music completely engulfed him into it. He was intoxicated without any alcohol. Nobody knew who was behind that screen or those texts. He got up and clicked a picture of his surfboard, hanging on the wall behind him. Then, he got back to typing again.

"Cyril! You haven't left yet?" A middle-aged, fat woman entered his room. Her face was red from climbing the stairs, she was healthy and white with brown, greasy curls, "You have your finals, today. Come have some breakfast and then I'll drop you," He picked up his surfboard and they both walked down the stairs.

He was much taller than her and had a well built body-That of a professional surfer. They had some vegemite for breakfast. He peeped into his phone from under the table and smiled. His mother noticed it right away, "Cyril Edwards,"
He quickly looked up, "That's me," He had a cheerful voice, squeaky and sweet.

"I know, what are you doing with your phone down there?"
"I'm just looking at the weather reports. What if it rains?"
She smiled as she took a sip of her coffee, "What's with this sudden shift of music? I thought you were an indie pop person,"

"Oh, mom! Stop prying!" He got up and wore his surf watch. He packed his surfboard in his board bag and picked it up in his left hand. His phone was in his right hand,

"Your surfboard leash?" His mother asked.
"It's all in the bag,"
"And your wetsuit? Hey, wait! Cyril! I'll drop you"
"It's fine, mom. I'll walk. It'll be a good warm-up," He closed the door.

He walked on the road, surrounded by trees and wilderness. He could hear various insects and birds. The beach was visible from the street. He could faintly hear the sounds of announcements from afar and he could see huge waves, as tall as ten metres coming and going.

But he ignored all the bounty of nature and stared into his phone,
"Finally, today are the finals," He typed.
"Can you record yourself surf? I really really wanna see you surf!" He received a text.
"Sure thing! I'll ask my mate to record me," He typed.

"AYE!" He heard a familiar voice and quickly put his phone away. Two boys were walking towards him. One of them had blonde dyed hair, with the roots going black and brown and a golden tan all over his upper bare body. He wore a beanie and black sunglasses with red trunks. The other one had black hair, white skin and Asian features. He wore a sleeveless grey hoodie and shorts that showed off his skinny arms and legs. Certainly, he wasn't as much of a sportsman as the other two boys beside him.