Chapter 1

Sunlight poured through the small windows, illuminating the dark room.
       Anxiously, 15-Year old Juliana studied almost everything she could about Pokémon moves and stats.

"I already know this." She muttered, flipping the page. "I can't believe everyone completely forgot I used to be apart of the elite four."

Before we moved. Or ran away I should say.

She sighed and looked back down to the paper. "Oh, I finished reading." Juliana realized.

She stood up out of her chair and started down the stairs.

"Mornin' mom." The trainer said, greeting her mother as she walked down the steps and towards the kitchen. "What cha' makin?"

Her mother stared at her for a moment. "A sandwich..." She said slowly, picking it up.

"Okay..." Juliana said, looking down at her feet, noticing her mother's distance.

"You okay, mom? You seem a bit... distant..." Her mother lifted her head quickly to stare at her daughter, her curly hair following her head dramatically. "Yes I'm fine. Can you do the dishes please?"

"Uh... but I have to... I mean..." She gestured towards the door, as if saying she had to leave. Her mother glared at her and lifted up a hand to point at Juliana.

"Don't you argue with me! Do the dishes, NOW!" Her mother shouted, shoving the sandwich into the bag angrily. "Agh! Fine! I'll do them myself, why do you always make me do everything!?" Mother screamed. "M-mom, I j-just said I h-had to go." She stuttered.

Even though Juliana had dealt with her mother's screaming like this lots of times, it still made her cry almost every single time, especially when she saw other mothers telling their children how much she loved and appreciated them, which her mother still did, but in a more manipulative way to get her children to forgive her.

"I DON'T CARE! Don't argue!" Her mother hissed. "Or give me your phone. You know what? Hand it over."

Juliana gulped. "N-no." She forced out. "I didn't do anything wrong. I have to leave now." Her mother got even more infuriated. Tears rolled down Juliana's face, coating her cheeks in salt droplets. "Oh stop being so dramatic, your embarrassing me!"

She started to scream at her daughter more, but stopped when they heard a knock at the door. Both of them were silent for a moment.

"Get the door, sweetie." Her mother said with a sigh, her tone changing to what Juliana referred to as 'the good, kind mom'.

Julie scowled and walked towards the door. "Hey, I still love you, no matter what." Mother said before she could open the door.

Juliana wanted to say that she didn't care, but she stopped herself because she didn't want to feel guilty for throwing away the small amount of kindness her mother gave her.

"Love you too, mom." She replied as she opened the door.

To her surprise, it wasn't a package like she expected.

Instead, it was an old man. He was tall and elegant with a trimmed beard and hair. He had a deep blue jacket on and was wearing large light blue glasses.

The old man gave her a suspicious glance, and looked around the room. Oh no, did he hear the fight?...He probably did... Juliana thought, forcing a smile onto her face.

"H-hello, nice to meet you, sir." Juliana said, holding the door open. The old man smiled and waved. "I am enlightened to meet you as well. Juliana correct?" She nodded and held the door for the old man. He smiled with a faint nod and walked into the house.

The old man and her mother proceeded to make small talk until she walked up to them. "I'm gonna go grab my bag and hat." Juliana sighed, pointing her thumb towards the stairs. "Okay, sweetie. Hurry up though."

Juliana rolled her eyes as she treaded up the steps. "Don't worry, I hate you too, mom." She muttered to herself as she stood in the middle of the room. Juliana reached forward to grab her hat and bag. She slid the bag over one of her shoulders and placed the hat on top of her head.

Juliana slid silently down the steps, listening intently. "—Oh yeah, my talented daughter is absolutely amazing at art and drawing or whatever. I used to be that good—guess she got it from her mother!" She heard her mother bark a laugh as she got closer.

No, I didn't get it from you. The only thing I got from you is trauma. Art is the only thing I had to cope with the pain you have caused me every day. Her brain shouted.

"Well, lucky for her, we have an art class." The old man said. "That's great—! Juliana will be so excited!—"

"I'm ready to go, mom." Juliana sighed as she stepped into the living room.
     Her mother stared her up and down for a moment.

"Great! you look adorable, sweetie!" Her mother smiled fakely. Juliana sighed. "Thanks, I guess..."

"Forgive me, Juliana, for I have not introduced myself yet." The old man bowed. She forgot he was there, and jumped when she heard him speak.
"Please, call me director Clavell." He bowed, lifting up his glasses to make sure they didn't fall off.

"Wait... YOUR the director!?" She gasped. "Why'd you walk all the way HERE to see ME?!" The old man smiled, and placed his arms by his side. "Because I heard you were a trainer with serious potential."