Chapter 23

Arven sat backwards in his chair, glancing boredly at the lesson being taught.

He closed his eyes for a moment, frowning.

"—So, how might Ar—erm—this young man boost the effectiveness of his meal powers?" Mr. Saguaro asked.

Ugh, stop being so obvious!

Arven felt the: SWOOSH! of a hand fly up in the air behind him.

"Yes, Juliana?" The teacher said, a slight mischievous glint in his eyes.

What's he so...annoyingly happy about? Arven wondered, cocking his head slightly to the side so he could glance at Juliana without her noticing.

She, surprisingly, did in fact notice, and got the biggest grin on her face.

"Ar...ven?" Juliana smirked.

Wha—! No! Mr. Saguaro! Now she thinks I'm dumb or something!

He stopped himself. Wait, why do I care what she thinks of me!? I don't!...Right? Surely I don't...I can't...How do I feel towards Juliana?

Arven couldn't answer that question. He knew she was his friend, but was she anything more?

No! Friend. Yes. Friend, that's all, nothing more...right? Ugh! Stop questioning this! If I did like her...there's no way she'd choose someone like me, so I should give up ahead of time.

Arven couldn't stop himself from glancing at her face though.

Her purple eyes were undeniably beautiful, like glowing Tera crystals. And she had somehow found a way to make the school uniform and hat look cute on her.

No! No! No, and no! Stop with these thoughts! She doesn't like you, so leave it alone!

He looked away, embarrassed.

"Uh—" Mr. Saguaro stuttered, trying to keep himself from glancing at Arven. "I refuse to give away the identity of this young man."

That's not really helping... Arven frowned, crossing his arms.

"But—uh—the correct answer was: two people set up a picnic and make a sandwich together!" He said, winking at Arven.

Huh!? Arven thought, feeling his face get slightly redder. What's he hinting at!? Wait...Arg!

Then it hit Arven.

Mr. Saguaro had probably only agreed to teach this lesson as a hint to Juliana that I have no friends!

Arven glowered for a moment.

Or maybe something else... Part of his mind echoed.

Well that's just fine! Who cares if I don't have any friends! Except Juliana I guess...Ran through the other half of his mind.

But she's only a friend!

The loud school bell rang, giving Arven hope that he could escape the room before anyone asked him any questions.

"But to sum it up!" Mr. Saguaro announced. "Next time, Arven should set up a picnic with some friends!"

Arven coughed violently into his hand, and grabbed his bag off the back of his chair, standing up and bolting towards the door.

Mr. Saguaro placed a hand over his mouth, realizing his mistake. "Uh—I mean—this student's identity is none of anyone's concern!"

"Good save." Juliana whispered in a voice that could only barely be classified as a whisper.

Arg. Whatever.

Arven glanced over his shoulder one more time to stare at Juliana as the other kids in the room stood up, collecting their things.

She noticed his gaze, and met his eyes, lifting up a hand to signal "good bye".

He felt his heart speed up and couldn't breath for a moment.

Arven had looked her in the eyes before, what was wrong with him now!?

But her eyes looked like glowing crystals and beautiful moonlight, he hadn't seen anything like it before.

Stop!

His eyes widened, and he mouthed "bye", then turned to walk away.

Why am I such a nervous wreck now?! She. Doesn't. Like. You.

Where did these feelings even come from?

Arven thought for a moment.

Maybe it was when he held her hand for the first time.

He remembered the night he had trailed through the halls, but heard sobbing coming from the room he thought was Juliana's.

Arven's face immediately turned red, remembering the feeling of her palm against his.

He shook his head violently, trying to ignore all the thoughts building up in his brain.

Arven wondered if this was what having a 'crush' felt like, as he hadn't ever had one. B-but—! I don't... Arven tried to deny his feelings for a moment.

The way she stared at everyone with such curiosity, or the way she always skipped down the halls, or nibbled on the back of her pencil whenever she was thinking about what to write in her notebook... It was enough to make his heart beat speed up drastically.

I suppose, a little crush couldn't hurt anyone, right? As long as I don't get too attached...Ha...No way she'd ever like someone like me ever...