-You Got A Friend In Me-

| November 14th 2022 |

October

"Are we really going to do this?"

What makes someone successful. Is it luck? talent? nepotism? maybe, but for you and your band, you'd need all the advantages you could get. This was the first music video you'd be putting actual effort into.

All your other videos were low effort or simply non existent, you had amassed a very respectable 30,000 subscribers and things were looking up, you and your friends were all very hopeful.

Speaking of friends, one of them was currently slouched, typing away on his computer. Jack was both your drummer and your video editor, he tended to be the most shy out of the group, barely adding much to conversations, but you all loved him anyway.

He was also the most unkempt out of the group, having longer black hair and a beard, despite the fact you were all the same age, he looked a good few years older, he had bags under his eyes that came from both a lack of sleep and his insomnia.

"Is it nearly done?" Your other bandmate Cal asked as Jack typed away on his computer.

Cal was a tall man with blue eyes and blonde hair, most people would say he won the genetic lottery, he was also the most hyperactive and stubborn of the group, he played bass and was dubbed the 'eye candy' of the group.

"I'll be done quicker if you stop asking every five minutes" Jack blankly replied.

A few minutes passed before your other bandmate came back from the kitchen holding sandwiches, that was your other bandmate Casey, or 'Case' as you called her. She joined quite later as Cal's girlfriend but quickly proved herself as more than that.

She was your lead guitarist and definitely already fit the 'aesthetic' of your band, having wild red hair and held a particular distain for things 'normal'. Because at the end of the day, none of you were normal.

She was also the only one in the band to have a 'real job', working in the sandwich shop your group frequently visited. You lived in a small town where not much happened, your high school barely had enough people to be considered a school, it was more like a club if anything.

Jack was training to become a software engineer, though he said he'd always make time for his music and so far he's kept that promise, Cal was confident the music would work, Case less so, it was more a hobby to her.

"I'm not hungry" Cal said, seeing the sandwiches his girlfriend had brought.

"When did you last eat?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

"...Yesterday" Cal said quietly, the sandwich was thrusted onto the table and Case took a seat.

"Ok well its 2pm now, I'm not leaving until you eat" She said checking her watch and staring right at Cal.

"...I hate you" Cal teased after a while of silence, Case simply smiled at him.

"Love you too" She smiled, it was close to their 5 year anniversary, having met when they were 15.

"I'm gonna go throw up now" You joked, Cal simply flipped you off, not taking his eyes off Case.

And that left you, you were the lead vocalist and also played piano in the songs that required it, you were also the guy who wrote the songs and the 'glue' that held everyone together. You were also the only single one.

Cal and Case showed no signs that anything had gone remotely wrong in the 5 years they'd been together, and Jack had a boyfriend who wasn't really a music guy, but you had met him, both of their awkward personalities made them a match in anxiety heaven.

But then there's you, you'd never had anyone express any romantic interest in you what so ever, it wasn't that you were ugly either, you'd thought about asking girls out, but you'd always stop yourself before doing so, calling yourself crazy in your head.

But you didn't need a relationship to keep you happy, at least that's what you told yourself as the silence crept in at 2 in the morning, the ac going off as you tried to fall asleep, the sounds of people partying and having fun surrounding you like a rollercoaster of noises.

"Pssh" Case scoffed. "Your just jealous half your band is getting dicked down on the regular" 

Along with a regard for the norms, a filter was also something Case seemed not to have, Jack chocked on his drink upon realising the other 25% of the band that Case mentioned was him.

"Me...me and Andy don't...well I don't its more of...him..." Jack stuttered, his face bright red.

"IS IT DONE YET!?" Cal sighed "This is taking forever"

"Its only been 20 minutes..." You said, causing Cal to give you a glare "Don't start, I'm too tired to function" 

"But not tired enough to do a tier list on all the Mario Kart characters?" Case said, as he had been doing it for the past half an hour. 

"Are you still salty I put Bowser in B?" Cal asked.

"Bowser is a classic and you know it, I mean why put Bowser in B tier when-" Case started to rant but was cut off.

"Its up" Jack broke the tension, everyone instantly crowded around the laptop screen as the video was shown to be up on YouTube.

This was a big deal, you had spent a fair amount of money in the opening track to your debut album, so the two of you sat as the views were displayed on screen.

0 Views

"Refresh the page" Cal demanded, Jack hit refresh and the new number of views were seen.

0 Views

"Refresh it again" Cal demanded, everyone else could sense what would be happening for the next 10 minutes, or 10 years. 

"Are we really going to do this?" Jack mumbled, saying what the other two were thinking.

"I'm just...just refresh it please" Cal asked, Jack hit refresh and what happened amazed them.

1 View

The four of them cheered and started celebrating like this was their crowning achievement in life, they were all overjoyed to see even one view on their stuff, it gave them validation.

"This causes for a fucking celebration man!" Cal cheered. "Come by my place, 10 tonight, I promise you there will be copious amounts of underage drinking" 

Just then, a group of black cars rolled past, going somewhere unknown with unknown people, Cal stared at them as they went past like a child in Disney.

"Who are they?" You asked, they looked to be important, but you weren't sure why.

"Oh my god its the men in black" Cal started to freak out.

"Its not the men in black, didn't you hear?" Jack asked.

"No Jack, we didn't, please enlighten us" Case asked as Jack scratched his beard.

"Some TV people are filming a show here, don't know what its called but the actors get here today" Jack filled in.

"Well hopefully the traffic this will cause wont stop anyone from coming round on time" Cal said, as an event as small as this would most likely be the biggest thing to happen all year.

"None of us have a car Cal" You filled in, not even Cal had a car.

And with that the group promised to stop by Cal's house later that night, unaware that that simple action would result in you going on a journey of good and bad, of wins and losses, and a journey of love, for both yourself and others.

This was just the intro chapter but I hope you enjoyed it none the less, I was going to write this character as an actor, but I realised that's where one of my other books went wrong, because I have no experience as an actor, but I do have a little bit of experience as a musician.

Let me know your thoughts on this chapter, I also haven't named your band because its up to you to decide, from now on it will be referred to as B/N...K bye

Also Happy New Year (Depending on your time zone)