Chapter 16

Aliena

I still haven't had the chance to thank Sebastian for saving me by the time my birthday rolls around two weeks after I was attacked. He hasn't hosted any parties and we didn't go to any clubs. If it weren't for the fact that all of my friends have been busier than usual, I would've thought he was avoiding me.

At least there's no way I won't see him tonight at the birthday party Lilianne insisted on throwing me. The party I don't know the location of or dress code for yet. All I know is that Lily's picking me up at three pm to do god-knows-what with me. Later, she told me, we'd get ready together so I guess I'll be in good hands.

That leaves me with six hours to spare, which I cannot get ready in since I have been given the instruction to be bare-faced and unshowered when my friend arrives. I'm scared to find out what she has planned for me.

For now, I'm working up the courage to step out of my apartment building to get my mail. I eye the short way up to my mailbox through the glass door before looking down at my outfit. Fuzzy socks in my slippers, shorts, and a fuzzy sweatshirt. I'm so fucking cozy but even the sight of the outside makes goosebumps prick my legs.

I take a deep breath and force myself to push through the door, damn near howling when the icy December cold envelops my body. I make my way to my mailbox in jumpy steps, fumble to get the key inside to open the box, then make a clumsy sprint back inside the building with my letters in hand.

As soon as I'm back in my tiny, warm apartment, I grab a fluffy blanket and wrap it around myself. Then I sit at the table I threw my mail on and start opening the letters.

Happy fucking birthday to me is all I can say to the stack of bills. And then there's the envelope with the neatly written address on the front. I recognize my mother's handwriting and quickly decide that I'm not in the mood to open that just yet. Besides, I'm fairly certain I know what it's about.

My parents have been begging me to come over some time to catch up, which I have. A few times in the three years since I moved out. It's not that I necessarily don't want to see them. It's just that I'm busy with work most of the time, and whenever I'm not, I'm out with my friends or in need of some me-time.

Yeah, there's nothing better than a hot bath with some cheap scented oils and a few candles to make me feel like the royalty I sure was in another life. I kept the attitude from back then, for sure. The wealth? Not so much.

Anyway, it also doesn't help that every meeting with my parents is so damn strained. Ever since my mom got clean and it dawned on her what went down at home while she was busy spending money we didn't have on drugs, she became horribly nice. In a very forced way.

We don't talk about my childhood. Neither my dad nor my mom ever tried to pick up the topic and while I'm very fine with that and don't hold a grudge for whatever flaws they might've had, the awkwardness between us makes it hard to be with them.

I know my mom feels guilty for not having been around. In the sense of not having helped financially, not having been there to make my meals or help me with school, and not having been mentally present enough to share any of my firsts with. Again, I don't blame her but I also don't feel the need to make up for lost time.

My dad's a little more complicated. It's not that I'm scared of him. I love my father very much and am eternally grateful for how he managed to step up and provide me with a stable enough home. There is no reason for him to hurt me anymore and I know he wouldn't. Sometimes, when we're left alone though, I'm just not that comfortable, but that's my issue.

Yeah, I'll deal with that letter some other time.

That leaves me with one more envelope, a cream-colored, expensive-looking, narrow thing. I eye it suspiciously and open it. The letter inside has been folded twice so the paper's parted in perfect thirds once I open it. That's my first indication that this letter is too fancy to fit the others.

The extravagant font is the second giveaway.

I scan the words quickly, my heart racing a little more the further along I get. When I'm done, I reread it two times, wondering if this is to be trusted. After the fourth read, I decide it is and jump to my feet, squealing like an idiot.

Oh my god, I'm going to kiss him. His signature isn't anywhere on here but I know it's him. The name of the gallery I just got an invitation to is proof enough. "Rose Gallery" is the biggest art exhibition within a hundred miles, the one Sebastian's grandfather sponsored at one point in the last century. The first owner then gave him the right to name it, so the old Henderson named it in his wife's, Rosie's, honor.

I can't believe I get to go! There's usually an outrageous entrance fee but not with this. Not with an invitation.

I'm going to fucking kiss Sebastian's stupid, privileged face until he regrets ever having given me a present like this. I had no idea he even knew of my love for art. It's not like I always talk about it when I'm out dancing, though maybe I mentioned it at a dinner once.

Which solidifies my point, I can't believe he knew to get me this. Stupid, brilliant, attentive idiot. He's so going to regret having done this. It's the second time he was nice to me in the span of a month. Maybe this is him calling a truce.

I can't believe I get to go!

I have to get ready! If I take a cab, I can be at the gallery in fifteen minutes but I certainly can't go looking like I am now. Luckily, my hair still looks good enough that I don't have to wash it but I have to change and put on some makeup.

I'll take it off for Lily later on but there's no way I'm going to a gallery looking like a zombie. No, it's all about the aesthetic.

Twenty minutes later, I'm sitting in a cab, wearing my most beloved, classiest simple silk dress paired with some knee-high boots and a thick coat, clutching the beautiful invitation tightly. As I dreamily look at the beautiful font, I can't help but think that this is already the best birthday of my life.

There's no way I'll ever be able to repay Sebastian for this.

————————
We got a very special chapter coming up...👀

Have a very fine day<3