Chapter 69

Aliena

"Aly?" Sebastian asks as soon as he picks up after the first ring. I guess he was already awake then, good. "Everything all right? Do you need me to pick you up from somewhere?"

My beaten hard sighs happily, soaking up his caring words. "That would be great. How did you know?" I ask.

"You haven't come home. I was worried about you."

"Oh," is all I can think to say to that.

"Yeah. So, where are you? Are you okay?" From the urgency in his tone, I can tell that he's dying to get an answer to the latter question. Since he wouldn't like the true answer to that, I lie.

"Yes, my dad just held me up and I missed the last bus. I'm sorry for calling so late."

"It's no big deal. I was up anyway. I'm leaving right now."

"Thanks. I'll see you soon." And so I wait on my front porch alone with my thoughts and freezing like a beaten dog.

When Seb's car pulls up, I quickly jump into the passenger seat, barely looking at him to say hello before I turn my face away. I checked my reflection in my phone earlier to see my split lip and a purple bruise already forming around it. If I can get home before Sebastian sees it, he'll never know.

The longer we just stand still in my driveway, the more my hope that I'll get away with it dwindles. Finally, gentle fingers cup my chin and turn my face, confirming that my plan has already failed.

My friend's worried eyes flick between my eyes, then drop back to my lip. He grits his teeth, though his touch on me is achingly gentle.

"What happened?" he asks, trying his best to hide his anger.

"I slipped," I try half-heartedly, not meeting his eyes again.

"Aliena, don't lie to me. Lest I'll have to go in there and find the answer myself," Sebastian threatens. Still, I don't flinch at his gruff tone. There's not a nerve in my body that's on alert. Not with him. I know he'd never hurt me.

"My dad lost it a little. It's not so bad, though. It was just a little slap. Please, don't make a big deal out of this," I plead with him, too tired for a charade.

After a silent second, I hear him mutter, "Nothing new," under his breath. I frown.

"What?" I ask, and his eyes snap to mine.

"Nothing new. That's what you said when you called me from the telephone booth. You told me your attacker punched you, but that it was nothing new," he says, his voice getting louder with every word and I can see him piece the whole story together.

I curse myself for slipping. Now and back in December. Especially when Sebastian's eyes meet mine, a deadly inferno of rage hidden in his. He lets ho of my chin.

"He hits you?" he finally asks incredulously. I have to suppress a flinch, not because I'm scared but because the words hurt to hear.

"No. Not anymore. Not in many years, Sebastian. Today was an accident," I try to reason with him.

"How do you accidentally hit your daughter?" he demands, nearly screaming now. "And what do you mean, not in many years?"

Sensing that this isn't the time for games or lies, I say, "When my mother succumbed to addiction the first time around, my dad was under a lot of pressure, working and raising me. Sometimes, just when I'd mess up something or upset mom, he'd lash out. But it was never bad and he didn't mean any harm."

Sebastian bites his tongue, blows out a breath, and rubs his hands down his face. I can tell he wants to keep screaming. Hell, he probably wants to go inside my house and yell at my dad. I won't let him, though. That sort of stress is the last thing my father needs.

Finally, Sebastian sighs and slumps in his seat. His hands drop from his face to cup my cheeks with utmost care. "I wish you'd told me. I don't care if you say today was a slip-up. I'd never have let you come here alone if I knew that he was dangerous," he tells me.

"He's not dangerous," I protest. "He's just under a lot of pressure."

Sebastian's brows dip slightly as he shakes his head." Don't make excuses for him, Sweetheart. He doesn't deserve it." He sighs, studying me for a long moment.

I'm glad when the pity finally bleeds from his gaze, his expression changing as he searches my face. "Thank you for telling me," he finally says.

"It's not exactly a pretty bedtime story," I mumble.

"I don't care. I'm happy about every piece you reveal about yourself. I want to know you."

"You know me," I tell him hoarsely.

Nodding slightly, he brings my hands to his lips and kisses my knuckles. Then, he says " Let's go home,"

So we do. Sebastian doesn't push me to talk more about tonight, and I appreciate it, using the silence to figure out my feelings.

"Can I stay with you tonight?" I ask warily when we arrive home. I didn't settle on many clear thoughts in the short ride home but I do know for sure that I'm craving comfort. I've been craving it ever since I stopped sleeping with Sebastian but tonight, I don't want to miss it.

Sebastian, though clearly surprised, quickly agrees. "Yes, of course."

I get ready as quickly as I can, washing my face and inspecting my bruise before meeting him in his bedroom. For one awkward moment, I hesitate in the doorway. Then, he saves the day with his most charming smile as he pets the mattress next to him.

"I promise I won't bite," he teases me.

"Not unless I ask," I add, finally getting closer.

To my surprise, he shakes his head. "No, Sweetheart. Not tonight. As of tomorrow, when you're well rested and have a clear head, I'll do whatever you ask." He winks at me before reaching for my hand and dragging me down onto the bed. Within seconds, he manages to clumsily settle me next to him.

He holds my gaze as he slowly reaches out to brush his thumb over my bruised lip, a crease marring his forehead.

"It barely hurts anymore," I assure him.

"I hate that this happened. I hate that I wasn't there," he curses softly.

"You're the first person I called. Just focus on that. I know we have a lot to talk about but for now, forget about this. Just hold me and go to sleep," I tell him, already turning around so we can settle in our old position.

Sebastian follows suit, his body curving against my back and melting against me with a sigh. "I've missed you so fucking much," he confesses against my shoulder.

"Such a filthy mouth," I tease him before conceding. "I've missed you too."

————————
Have a sweet day<33