Chapter 34

Aliena

It's December 28th. I survived Christmas at my parent's place. I somehow managed to pay all the bills. The only thing I completely forgot about was my best friend's birthday.

Apart from exchanging a few messages with Andrew, I didn't contribute anything to the party that will be thrown for her tonight. Not a single thing. The two of us won't be spending the day together and I didn't even get her a present.

Christ, I'm the worst friend on this planet. First, I don't see her for three weeks. Then, I ditch her on Christmas and now I show up at her party without a present.

It doesn't even end there. Now, with three hours left until I have to be in a room full of strangers and my few friends, I'm crying about the fact that I have to go at all. I made the mistake of looking in the mirror twenty minutes ago and at the sight of the dark, dark circles under my eyes and the horror that is my unwashed hair, I just broke down. I don't even recognize myself anymore.

I have no energy to socialize and I'm scared I'll ruin Lily's party. I'm a fucking mess.

After another ten minutes of wallowing in self-pity, I force myself to take a shower as I listen to my usual party preparation music. It doesn't do the trick. I feel just as discouraged when I step out of the shower.

Still, I force myself to get ready. It takes a while but, in the end, I look presentable, at least. Almost like I usually would. At least my dark circles are covered so no one will ask me about them. As I said, I'm a sensitive mess at the moment, and I'm scared that any reference that might remind me of my current situation will make me break down.

I just hope tonight will serve as a distraction.

When my doorbell rings and I come face to face with a radiant Lily, I feel like a fraud. Still, I pull her into a tight hug and wish her a happy birthday. "I'm sorry I didn't organize more or got you a present. I'm begging for a delay," I try to joke, even though I don't find my failure funny in the least. Of course, my best friend doesn't know the details of what's going on with my parents.

"Oh, don't worry about it. You'll never guess what Andrew got me!" she exclaims, thrusting forwards her arm to present me with a brilliant bracelet.

"Jesus Christ, tell me those aren't diamonds," I say, forgetting myself momentarily and sounding almost disgusted. I catch myself quickly and force my most convincing smile back into place. "He's spoiling you!" I add.

Lily is undeterred. "I know. He's horrible," she jokes. Meanwhile, I'm still staring at the bracelet. God, what a waste of money. It must be nice to sit on such a fortune.

Hating where my bitter thoughts are headed, I force myself to set my mind straight and remember that this is my best friend. I should be happy that she has a boyfriend that does so much for her. Sure, materialistic things might not carry much value to me but one of Lily's love languages is exchanging gifts. It makes my lack thereof so much worse.

"Okay, let's go down now. The boys are waiting," she says and starts pulling me away. I only barely manage to lock my door before she's rushing toward the elevator with me in tow.

"Where are we going, by the way?" I ask her on our way down.

She frowns at that. "You don't know? Andrew told me you helped organize it all," she says.

"I did, but more when it comes to the details," I reply quickly. Not really untrue since I did give Andrew some tips about decoration and cake and such.

"Okay, then. Well, he actually rented a clubhouse near campus. I think half the school will be there," she tells me excitedly.

"Oh, and they're all coming just for you," I tease her. She laughs and shoves me.

"Sure they are." Then we're jogging towards the car. Apparently, she really can't wait to get going.

I recognize Sebastian's car and for the first time in weeks, my heart starts racing in anticipation rather than panic. Mattheo and Andrew wait for us outside and both greet me with a hug. When I round the car to get in the back behind the driver's seat, I'm surprised to find the owner of the car leaning against its side rather than sitting inside.

My heart trips over itself and I nearly miss a step. He turns to me fully with a lazy smile on his face, taking me in from head to toe in a way that has my skin heating. When he's done, he steps closer and says, "Hey, friend."

Then he pulls me into a hug and I lose my voice to reply. I just stand there, hugging him back weakly as I soak up the bliss of the innocent contact. Shit, whoever said magic didn't exist never received a good hug.

Someone slapping the car's outside loudly interrupts the moment and Sebastian pulls away. "Come on, let's get going!" Andrew urges.

"Touch my car again and I'll break your hand," Sebastian retorts even as he opens the door for me to get in. Once I did that, he sits behind the wheel and starts driving.

"So, Aliena, what have you been up to? I feel like I haven't seen you in forever!" Mattheo pouts. I smile at him, glad when that motion doesn't hurt, at least.

"I've been swamped with work, sorry. I wouldn't dare miss my girl's birthday though. Twenty-three, you old cow. I remember when you got your first training bra," I tease her. She glares playfully.

"Shush now, we didn't all start growing boobs at twelve!" She laughs and adds, "And stopped at fourteen."

"Ey! Below the belt!" I warn her.

"Wait, what?" Mattheo interjects. Lily is happy to elaborate.

"Our darling Aliena might've thought she was growing boobs early, she didn't think they'd stop doing so so soon though. She had to take the pill to get those tatas we all see and adore now."

I groan as the guys all burst out laughing. "Some friend I have," I mumble though I feel better than I have in weeks. I'm glad I came tonight.

When we finally arrive at the destination, my enthusiasm dims a little again. There's already music playing inside and the location looks amazing. Extravagant and elegant in an effortless way. It's so Lily, so much more so than I could ever have achieved. It feels like a slap in the face and my earlier disappointment and shame return.

Oblivious to my inner turmoil, my friends enter the party. I follow them and try not to look like a beaten dog as I do.

————————
More drama upcoming, I can't wait to read your reactions...

Have a marvellous day<3