Chapter 42

Sebastian

"Sebastian?" Aliena calls out when she enters her home hours after my arrival.

"In the kitchen," I reply loudly, and she appears seconds later. It's hard not to notice how hunched her shoulders are now. As if the weight of the world was resting on them.

I had hoped that last night was the product of alcohol-induced sensitivity and that maybe, Aliena isn't constantly feeling so overwhelmed. Seeing her now, I'm not convinced. In the very least, I hope that even though she's struggling financially and worried about her parents, things will look up since she won't have to pay rent anymore.

I get to my feet and don't think about it before pulling her into a hug, hoping to cheer her up at least a little. Well, that and because I found myself thinking back to how nice it felt to have her in my arms last night several times today.

Yeah, this girl I agreed to be friends with, which I'm very attracted to and know feels the same way, is messing with my head. That's why I hold her for a second longer than I should.

"I moved everything from the cupboards into boxes already. I only have the cutlery left and the kitchen is done. Do you want to start on the other rooms or would you rather just get your essentials and let me take you home?" I ask. Funnily enough, I didn't even think about calling my place her home. I like the ring of it.

"I should start with the other rooms. It's probably best if I just stay here tonight so I can pack things up until I pass out and then keep going tomorrow before I go to my parents' place. You should go home, though."

"I'll stay too, if you let me. I don't mind helping some more," I insist quickly.

"I don't have a guest room," she argues.

"Luckily, I think we proved that we can share a bed just fine, no?" Am I inviting myself to sleep in her bed with her? Yeah. I guess I'm that guy now.

Aliena doesn't protest any further. "Sure, suit yourself. When are the movers coming?"

"Whenever I tell them to."

That draws the first soft smile from her, and she rolls her eyes at me. "Privileged prick," she teases me. I shove her slightly.

"Careful, this privileged prick knows where you keep your cutlery."

"You're threatening me in my own home? Bold, little boy. Real bold," she says, trying to stare me down with a hand on her hips like a primary teacher or something. Never mind that she is way shorter with me, especially without her heels on.

I make a show out of looking down at myself, trying not to laugh out loud. "Little, huh? I don't think anyone has described me as such in years."

"Yeah, you're not that pleasant to talk to. I'm sure there are many things the people around you never dare to describe you as," she fires back.

"Okay, rude. I am very pleasant." My classmates would disagree. In fact, her observation is very on point. I'm sure people have said or thought things about me that they'd never dare to say to my face simply because I'm the dean's son. It's ridiculous considering my dad wouldn't care if anyone cussed me out.

"Mhm, sure you are." As she says it, she gives me those bright eyes of hers, twinkling with amusement. God, she never lets me forget how gorgeous she is.

"Little troublemaker, I've had about enough of your big mouth," I chastise her playfully. Her eyes light up with the challenge.

"That's something I haven't been told before," she tells me, her double meaning clear. I curse myself for not having thought my words through more carefully before speaking since now, my mind is focused on her mouth and her innuendo has bad ideas coming to my mind. Even worse images.

"There's a first for everything," I reply lightheartedly in an attempt to get this conversation back on track before we can slip into flirting.

"I guess there is. Now, let's get back to work. This place might be small but I'm a hoarder."

--

Way past midnight, I've finally had enough of packing boxes. Here I thought I was in form but no, boxing stuff up is what exhausted me. I head to Aliena's room, where she's currently working her way through.

She doesn't hear me approach and I take a second to watch the unguarded girl for a second, lingering in the doorway. She looks tired, her back hunched and her steps slow. Still, her heavily-lidded eyes are determined. She's a fierce one, that's for sure.

I finally walk up to her and place a gentle hand on her shoulder. Her muscles tense under my touch for only a beat, then, she turns and looks at me. It's not the first time I notice how jumpy she is. I should really stop sneaking up on her.

"It's time for bed, Sweetheart. Come on," I say softly, the term of endearment falling from my lips like it tends to do whenever she seems so small and tired.

I'm already moving her over to the bed. She doesn't protest and practically collapses onto the mattress. I shimmy out of my jeans and take off my socks and shirt before asking the girl, "Where's your pajama?" She's still wearing her work clothes.

She lazily points to the dresser and I catch sight of a stack of folded clothes on top of it. I get it for her but she just blinks at it and doesn't move. "Thanks," she says, melting further into the mattress. She looks like she's seconds away from passing out.

I shake her softly and tug at her arm. "Come on, baby, you have to change. You'll be more comfortable."

She blinks up at me in the most adorable way. "Yeah. Totally," she agrees right before she shakes her head. "Don't want to move, though." Then, her eyes close again. I sigh loud enough for her to react to it.

"Help me if it's so important to you," she mumbles. I blink at her.

"Help you change?"

"Yes." Then she opens her eyes. "Not if you're uncomfortable. I can easily sleep like this. I just can't move my arms anymore."

I nearly chuckle at that. Yeah, lifting all those boxes made even me feel a bit of a burn. "I don't mind. I'll just open your blouse, okay?" I warn her so she won't flinch away from my touch again. I can still remember when she thought I'd hit her after I walked in on her and Mattheo, even if only for a moment. I don't ever want her to feel threatened by me again.

She nods, so I slowly bring my fingers to the delicate buttons, trying not to let my mind go anywhere that isn't platonic. It's no easy feat. Especially when I reach the middle of her shirt, which is revealing all of her cleavage and her navy blue bra now.

Once all the buttons are open and I helped her arms out of her sleeves, I say, "There, you have to help me a little with the shirt now, okay?" I slip her oversized sleeping shirt over her head and then help her raise her upper body enough for me to pull it down her back.

Hesitantly, I ask, "Do you want me to take off your bra?" It's no big deal, anyway. I'd just reach beneath her shirt and unclasp it, then help her arms out of the straps. I'd see nothing, and yet, my voice sounds nervous and breathy.

Aliena rolls onto her back and says, "Yes, please." So I do. I platonically take a girl's bra off for the first time in my life.

"Thank you. The scrubs are just fine. Come here, now," she demands softly, patting the mattress next to her without ever opening her eyes.

With a chuckle, I untuck the blanket and cover her with it. Only then do I climb into bed with her, holding her like I did this morning. I'm oddly content now that this weird fuzzy feeling returns and settles deep inside my chest. I never spent a night cuddling with a girl. Ever. I had no idea what I was missing out on.

————————
Cuddling>>>

Have a wonderful day and don't forget to vote if you like the story so far<3