Chapter 59

Sebastian

"It's happening again" that's all I can think about as I race towards my parents' estate. For god's sake, thirty minutes. That's how long it took for me to see my mother's message. I was so wrapped up in Aliena that, of course, I didn't check my phone. Still, I can't help but blame myself.

My mother needed me and I was too busy to fucking notice.

"It's happening again" I know what she means, of course. My piece of shit father is out, cheating while my mother is crying about him. Growing up, my mother often tried to hide that part of her marriage from me but every once in a while, she couldn't stifle her sobs and I'd find her, head in her hands and curled up against a wall, nearly hysterical.

She's scared he'll leave her. That one of these times, his affair will turn into her divorce and his new marriage like it did with her and she's so fucking scared to lose him, despite him being a fucking jerk. Fuck, I hate this.

When I reach my parents' place, I jump out of my car and get into the house. I can't believe this is where I am now. Not when I had so much planned for Aliena. Fucking hell, I feel like a piece of shit just thinking about her and that sad look on her face when I told her I had to leave.

I told her I would take care of her and then I flaked. I know it's unacceptable. Especially after I asked her to trust me. The only thing soothing my guilt just slightly is knowing that I prepared her a bath, at least. It's not how I wanted things to go but she can soak a while and maybe, if my mother's not feeling too bad, I'll be back at my apartment before she knows it.

But something hits me in that moment and my steps falter, dread washing over me like a bucked of ice. I come to a halt in the middle of the stairs leading to the first floor, slowly shaking my head to myself as I realize that Aliena can't take a bath. Not really. Not with her hands still bound.

Oh, god. A wave of nausea hits me, my mistake dawning on me. I can't believe it slipped my mind to untie her. Fuck. I reach for my phone with shaky fingers, intent on calling her when a pained sob hits my ear.

My head snaps up, looking in the direction of my mom's room and then back at my phone. I'm conflicted only for a second before another my mother sobs again, sounding as if she were choking on something. I pocket my phone again and rush up the rest of the stairs to reach my mom.

I find her curled up in the far corner of her room, her sweat-slicked, dark her sticking to her face as she cries desperately. Cursing to myself, I crouch down in front of her, reaching out to pull her into my arms as my heart breaks.

I hate seeing her like this. Hate to think that she's been like this for over half an hour already. "Shh, mama. I'm here. It's okay," I murmur against the top of her head, squeezing her tight in an attempt to hold her together so she can stop falling apart.

"Please, calm down. You need to breathe," I urge when I realize just how choppy her breaths are. I pull away enough to wipe her hair from her wet face, cupping her cheeks to get her to look at me. Only to have her looking right through me as she trembles and sobs.

My brows crease in worry. She's having a fucking panic attack and I don't know what to do. I've never seen her like this. I've never let it come to this.

"Mama, listen to me. Just listen to my voice. You need to breathe, okay? Do it with me. Come on," I beg her, trying to do what I did to help Aliena that time she had a panic attack.

Slowly, painfully slowly and after a lot of desperate convincing, my mom finally catches on to what I'm saying and slowly her breathing in time with me.

"Hijo," she finally sobs, recognizing me at last and throwing her arms around my neck. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I had to text you. That you had to come here. I should be able to handle this alone," she speaks choppily, each broken word tearing deeper into my chest.

"No, mama, don't say that. Don't apologize. You did nothing wrong." It's not her fault I left Aliena the way I did. She couldn't have known I was with someone. That's all on me. I'm still glad she texted me, though, as messed up as it may be. I hate to think what might've happened if I hadn't come to help.

As she keeps crying in my arms, my hate for my father festers. I want to tell her to stop wasting her tears on such a screwup, that he's not worth all her love and pain, and that she should get a fucking divorce and move on.

Knowing it would only upset her more, I don't say any of that. Instead, I eventually move us to the bed where she cries herself to sleep, still clinging to me. As she quiets and drifts off, my mind goes back to the girl I left at my home.

Did she manage to get out of her binds by now? I really hope so. I don't care if she cut it up in a million pieces, I just hope that she's fine.

I want to call her but I couldn't do that without waking my mom. I want to text her but don't, out of fear that it would be considered a cowardly move. After all, what I did isn't something I can apologize for over text.

In the end, I'm sure she's fine and asleep by now. Surely angry as hell at me but I can deal with that. So, pushing the memory of her hurt face far, far away, I let myself doze off.

————————
Y'all asked for it so here u go with today's second update;) don't get used to it👀 y'all have been really awesome and I love your comments so this is a treat<3

Have an awesome day<3