Chapter 61

Aliena

After I come home from my morning shift the next day, Seb is preparing the apartment for the party tonight. I see the bar was already restocked, the couch is gone, and other valuables are currently being stowed away by the host.

"Hey," I greet him. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

He looks up, wiping the back of his hand over his sweat-slicked forehead, and gives me a dazzling smile. "Hey. No, that's okay. I'm fine here, almost done." He observes me. "You look better today."

My cheeks heat at that. I hate that he saw me last night, tired as I was. The only good thing was that I was able to sleep despite being alone. That does wonders to soothe my lingering fear of dependence.

"Right, if you're sure. I'll get ready for tonight, then." It's the first party I'll attend since Lily's catastrophic birthday but despite my nerves, I'm looking forward to it. Not only am I eager to dance again, but I can't wait to get ready. There's little I enjoy as much as dressing up and looking great.

Since it's still hours until the party starts, I head straight for the last door down the hall. I might've been avoiding Sebastian since the night he ditched me but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy his dreamy bathtub.

As the water runs, I take a quick shower to wash the grime of the day off me. Since I was too tired to take one yesterday and was in a hurry this morning, I feel dirty and I'd rather not stain the bath with that.

Ten minutes later, I'm soaking in the warm water, absently playing with the bubbles as I try to think of what to wear tonight. I'm considering a midnight blue mini dress with an open back and slits from the bottom up to my waist on both sides when the door opens.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't know you were in here. I'll wait until you're done," Sebastian says, turning around as if he had never seen me naked. Something about that gesture sits very wrong with me.

Sure I was the one to distance myself from him last night, but I'd hate to think that he no longer wants me. Maybe that's why I chuckle coolly, telling him to turn around.

"No need to feign modesty now," I tease him.

He smiles softly, doesn't tease me back, though. Instead, he asks, "How are your wrists?"

"Fine. A bit sensitive in the warm water but it's okay."

Looking almost uncomfortable, he asks, "I know it doesn't change anything now, but I truly am sorry. Can we talk about it?"

"I already told you yesterday, there's not much to talk about. I believe that it slipped your mind and that you didn't mean to leave me like that. As I said, I'm happy that you helped your mom when she needed you."

"I think your exact words were, that someone I care about needed me. You know I care about you too, right? And I hate to think that I left you when you needed me." The knot in my stomach tightens, my defenses rising.

"I managed just fine," I lie.

He gives me a pointed look, seeing right through me like he always does. "The bruises on your wrists say something different."

I straighten up, steeling my voice as I ask, "Why are you pushing this? It's in the past, nothing we say can do anything about it now, so it doesn't matter."

"It matters to me. I messed up but I can't make it up to you if you give me the cold shoulder instead of communicating. Why is it so difficult for you to just talk to me?"

"What do you want me to talk to you about? Do you want to hear that yes, I needed you too, that night? That I broke down as soon as you left and spiraled until I had a fucking panic attack since you left me tied up like a sacrificial animal? Does it help you to know that?" I snap, my hands balled tightly beneath the water and my chest heaving with deep breaths that do little to calm my frenzy.

Instead of yelling back at me, Sebastian frowns and takes a step closer. I can already tell he's about to apologize again, his emotions are written all over his face. "I know you're sorry. I'm not mad, Seb. That night just made me realize a few things."

He stops in his tracks. "What things?" he asks cautiously.

"I think I should stay in my room from now on," I say first.

"I thought you had trouble falling asleep?" he interrupts me.

"I slept just fine yesterday." Whether that was just an exception because I was dead tired or not has yet to be determined.

"You could've slept anywhere yesterday," he protests.

"Either way, I can't stay dependent on you forever. Especially not when it comes to something as vital as sleep."

"So where does that leave us?"

"Nothing has to change. We're still friends, and I'm not opposed to the whole physical thing we got going on. The only difference is that I'll go to my room once we're done," I say, trying to soften my tone when he looks disappointed at that.

Slowly, he asks, "And what if I don't want that?"

"Don't want what?" What if he doesn't want me anymore? Is that what he's about to tell me? Already, the rejection churns in my gut and I grit my teeth, steeling myself against the full force of it.

"I've learned that I'm quite fond of having someone to hold at night. What if I don't want to give that up and act like a simple one-night stand?" he challenges.

Despite the fuzzy feeling that replaces the rejection inside of me, I force myself to say a string of words that leave a bitter taste in my mouth. Interesting how he's opposed to being a one-night stand but doesn't want to be something serious either. "Then I guess you better start looking for a new person to do that with."

His eyes narrow. "No."

"No?" I repeat, dumbfounded. What does he mean, no?

"No. You said nothing changes, so we're still exclusive. I told you a long time ago that I don't share and that goes both ways. Besides, you know I want no one else."

I sigh, equal parts content to let the soothing words wash over me and panicked. "You can't say stuff like that. That's boyfriend talk," I protest. Finally, Seb shuts his mouth firmly, looking like he agrees with me and doesn't like it one bit more than me.

"Fine. We're friends who mess around, but I'm serious about the no-sharing part. Another guy touches you and I break his hand." With that, he turns around and flees the bathroom, leaving me alone with my conflicted feelings.

————————
I know you guys wanted him to grovel& I am sorry for not delivering that. Believe me when I say that he'll do that later on in the story though, so stay tuned👀

Have a great day<33