Chapter 19

Sinn's POV...

"This was never going to work, Sinn. I'm not being distant, I'm making sure this doesn't go further than it needs to. That's what you wanted before, wasn't it?"

"I'm just being realistic."

I just thought we were...

"We were what? Getting closer? Turning into a real couple?"

Yeah. That's what I had thought...

I don't understand. I've been trying my hardest to make her happy and comfortable. I thought that taking her to the penthouse, showing her my efforts and... I thought she liked me.

I'm so confused.

I woke up at six in the morning to an alarm I don't remember setting with a banging headache. When I stood up, the room spun around me. "Fuck," I groaned, putting my head into my hands as I remembered that we were flying to New York today. I turned to the side and shut the alarm off, spotting my already packed suitcase.

Callum called me yesterday while I was at work, needing help with some shit he got himself into with the Maxwell's, another family in our line of work who was controlled by a man named William. I don't associate with the guy but it must be some deep shit for Callum to be asking for help.

I haven't even told Jasmine we're going yet. Well, obviously I did since my bags are packed. But I don't remember talking after the incident in the kitchen. Everyone loved the chicken parmesan she had made. Who wouldn't? I love everything she cooks. I love everything about her.

Why does she hate me? What did I do?

The thought of hurting her again, especially without knowing it, had me so confused and angry that I punched the wall of the shower, over and over again until the water falling into the drain was fully red, blood pouring out of my busted knuckles.

"Fuck," I frustratedly pulled at my hair, "what did I fucking do?" As I looked down at my bloody hands, regretfully, something told me there had to be more to the story. Jasmine isn't like this. She's kind, sensitive, bubbly and happy no matter what. She's always looked on the bright side of things, always.

There's something she's not telling me. I thought it was her period at first but even when that was done, her mood swings stayed. I'm not an idiot, I understand women's hormones but I also understand her. There's something else going on.

I'm going to find out what that is.

After getting ready and texting Kai and Julian to make sure they were ready to drive to the airport, I grabbed my suitcase and headed to my bedroom door. I reached out to open it and as I did, I felt nervous butterflies in my stomach. My face was flushed, my breathing hard and my hands sweaty.

What the fuck is this? I don't get nervous. Why am I nervous?

Wow, so first she leads me on, arranged-husband-zones me and is now making me nervous. How is this fucking fair? How am I supposed to sit in the car with her, get on the two-hour plane ride, stay in a room with her for a week and act like everything's okay when I'm seriously freaking out inside? How?

Fuck me, I need to relax.

I shook the nerves out and pulled the door open, a stone-cold look on my face as I walked down the stairs, hearing her making coffee in the kitchen. I placed my suitcase beside hers and stood awkwardly at the island.

She turned towards me with two to-go cups, ignoring my presence and pulled the drawer open, throwing a straw in each one, rounded the island and handed it to me. I noticed the way her hands shook and how she avoided looking me in the eye as if it would give whatever was going on away.