Chapter 28

Jasmine's POV...

I haven't wanted to do much other than lounge around the apartment lately. Today, I decided to reorganize some of my things. It's productive, maybe it'd motivate me to do other things. Go to the gym, grocery shopping...Wife things, I suppose.

But it feels useless. Sinn could have these things done in minutes with a single call to one of his people. What's the point of having me here? I'm like a piece of furniture, silent and stationary most of the time. That's not very useful.

Sinn doesn't complain, he's become very patient. But he's on edge, thinking but not saying any of his thoughts out loud. I can tell he's unsettled, still in shock and the more he holds it in, the worse it'll be in the long run. I just hope it doesn't explode and cause more damage.

Remind you of someone?

My thoughts feel broken. I can't finish one without starting another, there are multiple voices in my head. Screaming, whispering voices, pulling me in different directions. I hear one more than any other. The sound of it makes my head throb and my heart pound.

Put your misery to an end. It's never going away, you know that. Put a stop to it. End it. End it. End everything-

"Princess?" His voice makes the voices halt—every time.

I set my mother's bracelet back inside my jewellery box after placing a soft kiss on its infinity charm. Before, I'd wear it every day, never taking it off. I wanted her to be everywhere with me, to see where my life would take me.

Not anymore. The last thing I want is for her to see me like this. Especially if she knows what the voices are saying as well.

I stood up and walked out of the room, shivering as I hugged myself inside of Sinn's large hoodie and entered the living room to see him standing there. "Yes?" I asked him.

When he moved aside, my face fell in shock. Her lips parted as her soft eyes filled with tears when she laid them on me, seeing the state I was in. I felt ashamed and embarrassed as she took a step forward, "oh, dear." When she held her arms out, I rushed towards her, unable to stop my tears as I fell into the comforting arms that held me every time I'd break down at home.

"Maurice," I whimpered into her shoulder as her arms shook around me. Her warm hands felt fragile when she pulled away and held my cold, damp face.

"I'm so sorry," She sighed, composing herself, "I should've checked in more. I should've made sure you were okay-"

"No," I shook my head and held her hands, "no, it's not your fault Maurice. It's no one's but his." I assured her, referring to Julian. I helped her take a seat and we began talking, catching up and attempting to distract our minds from it all.

"Here you go, ma'am," Sinn appeared behind the couch with two cups in his hands, "coffee."

"Thank you, honey," Maurice smiled, taking a cup from his hand.

I took the other, "thank you." He kissed my head and told us he'd be in his office if we needed anything. Once he walked away and disappeared upstairs, I looked back at Maurice, catching a playful look in her eyes. I squinted mine suspiciously, "what?"

"How's that going?" She asked me with a smug smirk and curiosity in her tone.

"Smooth sailing," I couldn't help but smile, chuckling at the butterflies that filled my stomach at the mere thought of him, "we went through a rough patch but it's getting better." Everything in my mind other than him is dull. He's the only bright light left.

"That's good," She gave an approving nod, "he seems gentlemanly."

"On his good days," I joked.

She laughed, "back in the day, it seemed as if they wouldn't even have good days. Maybe moments, like with a girl or gettin' more money. Unless they fell in love, which a couple of them did."