Chapter 41

This is Chapter 41 again. Rewritten and very different. So forget about the other one.

..

Blood, dried-up and crusty, was swathed around the bulk of her two rings that were once wrapped around her ring finger. They both sat, coddled together on the tip of mine, stuck there and unable to move any lower.

A tear fell from my eyes and onto them. I brushed it away with my thumb and sniffled, blinking the rest away as I cleared my throat and sat back on our couch, leaning my head against the console and resting my eyes. I attempted to take a calm breath but I couldn't, each one would exhale heavily, like the weight of all of this was increasing each time I'd inhale.

I'd been sitting here for what felt like days but was really only a few hours. Immediately after it happened, we took her to a hospital in Paris. A few hours passed before the jet was prepared and she was stabilized.

We immediately flew back home with as many doctors as we could possibly need on board in case something happened during the flight. Once she was in the hands of our doctors here, my nerves settles by a minuscule fragment.

These weren't regular doctors like the ones we had access to in Paris. These were people that had been handling bullet and stab wounds in the most fatal areas for years. If they couldn't help my wife, I don't know who could.

I haven't felt fear in a long time. It became foreign to me because I had nothing to be afraid of. My whole life, I've felt invincible. No one could touch me, no matter how hard they tried.

The moment she fell unconscious in my arms and her blood covered my clothes, everything changed. The look on her face terrified me. By the time she was out of the hospital in Paris and brought onto the jet, I couldn't face her. A single glance made me as pale as a ghost and my heart thump violently in my chest.

I couldn't breathe seeing her like that. Like she was dissipating as time passed. The doctors were here, with everything ready, by the time we reached home. Since they took her in, I hadn't seen her.

The distant sound of the back door closing echoed throughout the torturingly silent house. It was bad enough being here without her for those couple of months after she left. I never imagined feeling even worse than that.

"Sinn," Kai's voice appeared as he approached the couch I was sitting on from behind. "The trace went dead. They've gone underground." 

I clenched my jaw in anger, trying my hardest to keep calm but couldn't. Everything was ruined. My wife is on her deathbed. The people responsible are nowhere to be found. I don't know what to do. I don't have anyone to turn to. 

"Call Ryan. I want every floor in every fucking building in the direction that the bullet came from searched thoroughly. If they come back to me empty-handed, with no one to pay for this, their families will instead." 

"They've searched multiple times, Sinn and still are. What is hurting families that are loyal to you going to prove?" 

Nothing. It'll prove nothing. But someone's blood is going to shed for this, I don't care whose.

"I'm not going to repeat myself." I bluntly told him. 

"I'm not sending that order out." He said. 

My body froze as I placed her rings on the palm of my hand and closed my fist, feeling them dig into my skin as my knuckles whitened. "You'll do as your told," I said, keeping my calm. 

"No. I won't," He said. I stood up and grabbed him by the collar of his shirt. He calmly stared into my troubled eyes, "She wouldn't order a killing spree for you. She'd sit by your side and make sure you're okay."