Chapter 36

I went a little overboard with the British slang in this chapter...

--

No matter how much I tried, Sinn wouldn't take the dress back. I didn't expect it but even after our conversation, he continued showing up at the café every day. I couldn't stop him and I couldn't run away from him either.

I had no choice but to suck it up and serve him. But it seemed like the situation was hurting him more than it bothered me. Each day, he'd say less and less. His hope was being drained. Maybe, he'd get so tired of it that he'd really end up killing me.

I chuckled to myself at the thought.

"There you go," Melissa cheered, "that's the first laugh and smile I've seen from you since a few days ago."

I sighed, "don't start."

"Oh, come on," she whined, "when are you going to tell me the drama between you two?" She switched her gaze over to Sinn who sat alone at one of the tables, sipping on his coffee.

"Trust me, it's not worth knowing," I assured her.

"Well, what's it going to take for the happy you to come out again?" She asked, "I swear, it's like there's a big storm surrounding the building since you've been like this. If Katie's happy, the customers are beaming. If Katie's sad, the customers are nasty pieces of shite."

I shook my head at her shamelessness, noticing how some customers heard her comment and presented looks of offence that she had no care for, "I don't know Melissa. Maybe, shoot me in the back of the head?"

She hit my arm, "don't talk like that. I say we go out tonight."

I scoffed, "you're ridiculous."

"Yes, I know, I know," She rolled her eyes, "Ms. Katie is too busy reading books and saving kittens to go out. Just this once," she pleaded, interlocking her fingers together, "I just know there'll be hot boys out, it's Friday!"

"Melissa-"

"Please," she pouted, "you're my only friend."

I gave her a disbelieving look but her pout and desperation wouldn't falter. I dropped my shoulders, sighing in defeat, "alright-"

"Yes!" She clapped, "I'll pick you up tonight."

I felt eyes on me for a moment and looked in Sinn's direction only to find him heading out, the café door closing behind him as he put his phone to his ear, talking to someone as he walked away.

I would never admit it to him but it hurt when he left. He didn't spare me another glance as he wandered off to do whatever. Sure, that makes me a hypocrite but there's not a single woman out there who would say she didn't appreciate the man she loves fighting for her and never giving up.

Something told me that, from the way he left, his hope was beginning to slip away. And I didn't want it to.

I still love him. I can't control that. I just can't allow myself to let him back in so easily. He needs to understand that. If he doesn't, that proves that the love he claims to feel for me isn't strong enough for this to work.

Maybe I sound insane for feeling this way but it's not like he'll ever know it's what I want from him. I want him to want to do it for me. For us.

To prove to me that if I give myself to him, he won't hurt me again.

..

I grumbled in annoyance, throwing the fifth outfit I'd tried on onto the bed, "I don't have anything to wear."