Chapter 51

"Well, did he tell you what exactly happened?" 

I shook my head, "He just called and said he needed us there as soon as possible." 

Jasmine sighed and sat back in her seat. She was concerned about whatever was going on. I was too. It's not every day that Callum Rivera calls for help. He seemed pretty desperate on the phone too. 

But damn, did it have to be today? 

I couldn't take my eyes off of her this morning. When she was showering, getting dressed, and making us coffee before we left. Even now, it's hard to keep my eyes on the road when she's sitting next to me, wearing a sexy pair of yoga pants that fit her ass so well. A tight little top underneath her cardigan. 

Fuck.

She reached her hand out and casually placed it on the back of my neck, caressing my skin. I closed my eyes, gritting my teeth together as I tried to compose myself.

"Baby," I mumbled, adjusting my pants.

"Hm?" 

"Get your hand off me before I pull over and fuck you in the backseat right now." 

"Oh." She quickly pulled her hand off and looked away as she covered her mouth, a failed attempt to conceal her laugh. I sighed and continued driving, glaring at the road. 

We were heading to Seth Rivera's house. Callum's older brother and the Capo, our boss. He controls everything. What we have can be taken away if he gives the order, the control we have can vanish if he wants it to. The influence we have in the world is because of him and those before him. 

What we do behind the scenes is the money we get to create the picture-perfect lifestyle that others think we live. Really, the drugs, guns, and murders are what build us up. Transportation businesses, investments, and all that shit is pocket money compared to what the other stuff gets us.

"Name." 

"Hyde." 

"Fingerprint." I stuck my thumb out and pressed it against the scanner. He nodded, "Now eye scan." Once the security check was over, the gate opened. I drove down the rest of the road and toward the large house. 

It was discreet, nothing too luxurious. The outside was traditional, his front door was made of glossy, dark brown wood with a fancy gold doorknob. I parked beside Callum's car, and beside it was Jordan's. But there was another one beside it, an all too familiar car that made everything click.

"Ah." I sighed as I pulled the car door open and helped Jasmine out.

"Ow." She limped, rubbing her thigh. 

"Still sore?" I smirked, taking her hand and holding it tight.

If William Maxwell really was here, I needed to make sure he came nowhere near Jasmine. He was a close acquaintance of Lucas Rivera, Callum, and Seth's father. While Lucas ran things over in New York before, most of the next generation grew up in Toronto. 

Jasmine being so closed off her entire life meant she wouldn't be used to this type of atmosphere. I knew William. He'd test the waters, tease her, pick on her. Just because he can. He basically raised us and he has a lot of power so it's not like I could kill him if he crossed the line.

There are rules within our world. Important rules that keep things from falling apart. There could be people in the same room who are itching to kill each other but can't. If they do, things go off balance. Everyone's got a role and if there's not a person who can take over with one person gone, they can't be eliminated. 

If Seth hadn't been basically raised by William over here in Toronto, he probably would've gotten rid of him a long time ago. Everyone knows the guy's an asshole but we owe a lot to him.