8. The Croatian Courtroom

The Croatian Courtroom

Judge Guilty entered the courtroom and sat down to read the verdict. It had been a simple case: "It is clear to me what happened on that night of the 26th of December. 123 witnesses have seen how Mister Black, a Caucasian well-known local criminal, started a fight in Bar Central. Mister Black has beaten, kicked, and severely hurt an innocent visitor of the bar, Mister White, a black citizen and taxpayer. Mister Black confessed all those things. He was under the influence of alcohol, drugs, and a bad temper. The court has ignored the arguments of Mister Black that the caused black eyes were not visible because of Mister White's black skin. The medical reports confirm the physical and psychological damage that Mister Black has inflicted on Mister White, and also confirm that now, six months after the fight, Mister White is still not able to work.

» On the accusation of public violence, I declare Mister Black guilty. Of the accusation of deliberately hurting an innocent bystander, I declare Mister Black guilty. Of the accusation of using drugs, I declare Mister Black guilty. On the accusation of being drunk in public, I declare Mister Black guilty. The verdict is 30 months in prison, starting right now."

Just when Judge Guilty wanted to hammer the final nails into the coffin to close the case, a woman rose. It was a beautiful woman, a gorgeous woman, a complete knock-out. She was Katniss Everdeen meets Catherine Zeta-Jones with a short haircut, the Russian anthem played by Carlos Santana, strawberry and peach cake with thirty-two candles. She had one question: "I have one question, Your Honour, and one small doubt. I hope you can explain. To me, the case is clear, but the verdict is not."

Judge Guilty smiled: "You can read the verdict over as many times as you like, Miss. What part didn't you understand? The part of the accusations, or the part of Mister Black being guilty?"

"It's about the punishment and the reward, Your Honour. It's about the criminal and the victim. I hope you can, with all your wisdom, take one minute to listen and explain to me where I'm wrong. As a result of your verdict, Mister Black will get two and a half years of free housing with three free meals per day. His health is taken care of, he will get free treatment to solve his drugs problem, he can follow a course to cure his addiction to alcohol, he will be offered a program of daily activities, it will be arranged that he can study or work out and, if I'm informed correctly, even sexual services are taken care of. When the sentence of 30 months for Mister Black is over, he will receive help to re-enter society, which will include help to find a house and a job, or get support to set up his own business. Is this correct, Your Honour?"

"Yes, ma'am. We do all those things because studies have proved they guarantee a lower return rate to prison for the people who've spent time there."

"Then we look at the situation of Mister White. He's self-employed and hasn't been able to work during the six months between the fight and the verdict. He hasn't been offered nor will be offered any compensation at all, and (considering the financial status of Mister Black: alcoholic and addicted to drugs) there's no way Mister Black can pay such compensation. Mister White has lost a considerable amount of clients and income, he has suffered lots of pain, and he had to pay a large part of the costs of the medical treatment out of his own pocket. The national news gave Mister Black enough publicity to make him famous, which results in him getting more respect from the other members of his gang. Mister White, on the other hand, has dropped out of his social circle, thanks to the consequences of his physical and psychological problems, caused against his will.

» Mister Black is the convicted criminal who behaved badly; he gets full service from the State. All the costs of that service are paid for by the hard-working taxpayer. Mister White is that hard-working taxpayer; he gets the bill and continuous headaches.

» Who's being punished here, Your Honour, and who gets the reward? That's my question."

The judge, paid by hard-working taxpayers himself, took his time to formulate the answer for this attractive lady. He was aware of the large number of journalists, present in his courtroom, thanks to the national attention the fight got in the news. The judge wanted to make a good and professional impression. His career and the credibility of the word Justice were at stake here.

Judge Guilty said: "I have to follow the rules, Miss. There are three kinds of people. First, there are the ones who follow the rules; they are limited in their freedom, they suffer from the ones who don't follow the rules, and finally, they pay for the upholding of those rules. Then there are the ones who don't follow the rules; they get rich and do what they want, and when they get caught, they get the humane treatment you just described. And finally, there are the ones who make the rules, and they pay me my salary, so I do what they tell me to do. So, please, don't complain to me about why I act according to the rules. I don't make the rules either. I'm just a puppet on a string."

"It was not my intention to complain about you, Your Honour. I just wonder why I myself don't act according to what's best for me. I'm without work. I can't afford to study. I can't afford to pay for medical insurance. I live on the street and sleep under a bridge. I have so many problems, but the government, invented to help the people who need help, doesn't listen to me at all. But, thanks to your wise lesson and your verdict according to the rules, I have found the answer: all I have to do is find one innocent judge in a bar, or behind a bar, in a courtroom, and then start a fight, inflicting severe injuries to this innocent man who's just doing his job. That will reward me with at least 30 months without all my everyday problems, and the State will help me find a house and a job, pay for my study, I'll get decent food and a bed, and I can exercise..."

The beautiful woman jumped over her table, ran towards the judge, jumped on his neck, and hit him wherever she could, with her fists, with her high heels, with her knees and elbows, even with her forehead she hit him. Teeth flew around, the black eyes of the judge were clearly visible on his white face, and his red blood everywhere made the colourful photos of the present press far more interesting. The journalists pushed the security guards aside, as the right of the public to be informed was far more important than the suffering of one innocent victim.

Meanwhile, the gorgeous woman shouted: "I'm not on drugs, Your Honour, and I'm not drunk either, because I have no idea where I can buy those drugs, but I'm sure that, once I'm in jail, I can get them everywhere, so you can pay for my treatment too. Don't worry, Your Honour. I'm just following the rules.

» There are millions like me, poor, unemployed victims like me, ignored, abandoned, and mistreated like me, unable to get a job and a life, thanks to the acts of the ones who are selfish enough to ignore the rules. But now I understand everything: those rules are invented to motivate us all to do the right thing. The right thing is what gives us our desired reward. All those poor victims just have to follow the rules and my example, so they will be listened to, and be taken care of. All those violence-horny journalists here will make sure the entire world will follow the rules and my example. This justice here is bleeding, but you can't see its blood. It's nothing but some feelings this wild cat opened up. I'm sure you understand..."