18. The Greek Guard

The Greek Guard

Nikos had been lucky: he was well-dressed, well-armed and well-respected by everyone. After twelve years (almost thirteen) of unemployment, this was his first day at his new job. It felt like the first day of a new life.

The crisis in Greece was finally over. Billions of euros, injected into the Greek economy by Luxembourg banks, had solved the problems. A new hope shone like a red sunrise on the horizon; even the colour (red) was the same, as the solutions were loans with payback and interest.

Payback was not Nikos's problem. Nikos was amongst the lucky ones who got a job, thanks to the financial rescue missions of the Luxembourg banks. And what a job it was. From now on, Nikos would be an important man. The safety of the National Airport of Athens was his responsibility. It would be useless to terrorist-attack this place when Nikos guarded the entrance. His spotless green uniform and the loaded machine gun he held before his chest were the best guarantee of safety for his country.

The day was waking up. Nikos glanced to his left, where he could see the first glow of bright orange, the sun rising over the horizon. But he did not get paid for watching the sunrise. He got paid for watching out for terrorists. That man over there, for instance. His beard made him look like a terrorist. If you have nothing to hide, why do you hide your face behind a beard? His suitcase looked suspicious too. And that other man over there with the sunglasses and the mobile phone? Was he the accomplice who would detonate the bomb with his phone?

The man with the beard put down his suitcase to embrace a young woman and kiss her on the cheek: "Are you already here?"

"My flight was early, Daddy. I'm so glad to see you. How's Mum?", the woman said. Together, they turned and walked towards the car park.

The sunglasses with the mobile phone ended his conversation and walked towards the line of taxis; another terrorist decided to abandon his plans to attack the airport, thanks to Nikos and his alertness.

Nikos felt great. He had been lucky to get the job. He was picked out of over 2.000 candidates for one of the 50 vacancies. Perhaps it was a matter of background: his records were flawless. He'd never even had a parking ticket or a fine for speeding, as he never had earned enough to buy a car or to get his driver's licence. All that would change from now on. His fixed salary, 160% of the official minimum wage (plus free medical service), would open doors that were shut until yesterday. He could even give his old mother a bit of money every week, so she could buy new clothes and eat three times per day. Yes, that was a good idea. His old mother would be proud of him. She would show her new clothes to all her neighbours and friends, telling them about her fine son who had this important job at the airport. Life smiled at Nikos, and Nikos smiled back.

"What are you smiling at, guard? You're not paid to smile. You're paid to look around, to be alert for terrorists and other criminals.", a voice barked.

"Yes, Sir! Sorry, Sir! It won't happen again, Sir!"

"Don't forget there are 2.000 other people who want your job, guard. The next time I find you off guard, you're out of a job. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Sir! It won't happen again, Sir!"

"Do you understand what it means to lose your job? You'll live your life like there's no tomorrow. All you need, you'll have to steal, beg or borrow. That's nothing to smile about, guard."

"Nothing to smile about, Sir. I won't do it again, Sir. You can count on me, Sir."

The superior walked on. He was right. There had never been any guards at the airport before, as there were never any problems either, but times had changed and not a day went by now without the news showing some terrorist attack. Nikos was not here to enjoy himself. He had a job to do, a serious job. Look at that girl with the dragon tattoo, for instance. She might be an international criminal, looking for a way to use violence.