26. The Lithuanian Lawyer

The Lithuanian Lawyer

"All rise..."

The honourable judge Paulina Gustas entered the courtroom for what was expected to be the final day of the trial. The twelve jurors had read the files. The long list of witnesses and specialists had passed the bench for their testimony. There were questions, of course, but today would be the day on which everyone expected answers. After the closing statements of the prosecutor and the defence lawyer, the jury and the judge could give their final verdict. It was a big day. It was a big trial. Perhaps the biggest trial in the history of Lithuania. The rest of the world followed it with maximum interest, as the verdict would also influence the lives of many people in other countries, perhaps even worldwide.

Judge Paulina Gustas took her seat and looked at her program: "Today's first and also last witness is Mister Valskis. Come forward, please, and take the oath."

Mister Valskis placed his hand on the chequebook and spoke the words: "I swear to say the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, as long as you pay me enough to do so."

"Mister Valskis. The jury and I had some ultimate questions about your investigations. Do you have the answers now?"

"Yes, Your Honour."

"Are you willing to give them to us?"

"Yes, Your Honour."

"Are you going to give them to us?"

"Yes, Your Honour."

"Well?"

"Well what, Your Honour?"

"Well, give us the stupid answers. We don't have all day."

"I'm sorry, Your Honour. I was just answering your questions. If you want the right answers, ask the right questions."

Judge Paulina took a deep breath, counted to ten to find back her usual self-control, and asked: "Mister Valskis, according to your investigation, is there an alternative solution to our problem?"

"No, ma'am... I mean, Your Honour. There is no alternative solution. The death penalty is the only acceptable outcome."

"Can you explain to the jury how you came to such a drastic conclusion?"

"Yes, Your Honour, I can. ... I mean... Should I explain to them now? And here? Okay. The problem, as we know, is one of unbearable suffering, a hopeless situation, going from bad to worse.

» It's close to midnight. Something evil is lurking in the dark, under the moonlight, in this thriller night, and no one is gonna save them from the facts about to strike: nobody in the investigated group survived.

» The most humane solution is to stop the unnecessary suffering, to save them from this horrible fate, and end their lives quickly and painlessly."

Judge Paulina showed her concern: "That sounds rather drastic. Are you sure about your conclusions?"

"Your Honour, we are talking here about people who had a choice, who could easily have avoided entering this dead-end situation. We've all seen the reports: many others have made different choices in their lives and not one of them has ever complained. I have the numbers here, and I will not bother you and the jury with them, just summarise the main alternatives that many, many people have taken."

Mister Valskis opened his suitcase and took out a sheet of paper: "They have driven themselves to death, drunk themselves to death, drugged themselves to death, eaten themselves to death, smoked themselves to death, worked themselves to death, they have entertained themselves to death with fatal accidents while skiing, cycling, jogging, or playing American Football, they have ... themselves to death with diseases like AIDS, they have been killed by diseases and by accidents, and there are several other causes of death that stopped all those people reaching the age of their retirement. The problem with those retired people is: they have lived healthily and without risks or addictions. They survived their productive years, and now... we have a problem."