37. The Scottish Saviour

The Scottish Saviour

"Thanks for the delicious dinner, dear. It was wonderful."

"Are you sure you want to walk? It's raining. I can take you in the car. It's only ten minutes. There are so many strange folks on the street these days. I'd prefer to take you home myself, to make sure you're safe."

The old lady smiled and shook her head. Her son-in-law was always so thoughtful: "Don't bother, dear. You've had far too much wine to drive safely. I will be perfectly alright. A little rain never hurt anyone. I like to take a walk after dinner. It's good for digestion."

One hug, two kisses, three goodbyes, and the old lady was on her way. Her umbrella kept the raindrops off her back and the scent of the rain made the stench of the city almost disappear. The dinner also had contributed to her excellent mood: her daughter was a marvellous cook, and the delicious dessert was still teasing her tongue.

When she saw the neon lights of the Royal Bank of Scotland, the old lady thought: «Today is the 25th. My pension for next month has arrived. I might as well cash it right now.»

She wasn't that old yet, but she never got used to those modern ways of paying, with plastic, phones and all that nonsense. When you take your money from the bank and put it into your pocket, you can spend what you have and nothing more. That way, you'll never get into trouble.

She took her bank card from her purse and stuck it into the machine. «I better take it out all at once. I don't trust those banks with my money.», she thought.

«Do you want a receipt?», the machine asked.

She answered «Yes» on the touch-screen and explained to the ATM: "A good Scott never turns down a free product."

She put the money in her purse and looked at her watch: "23:15 already. If I go through the park, I might be home in time to see tonight's episode of «George and Mildred»."

She crossed the street and entered the poorly-lit park. Her footsteps on the gravel mixed with the sound of the falling raindrops. A single lamppost illuminated the crossing in the centre of the park but also made the dark under the trees even darker. Suddenly, a voice in the shadows in front of her said: "Where are you going, Grandma, all alone with that purse full of money?"

Three shadows stepped onto the footpath. Three hooded figures. Three shining knives.

"What do you want? Let me pass."

"This park belongs to us. First, you have to pay the entrance fee and our protection money."

The old lady grabbed her purse firmly and put it under her arm: "That's my pension for the upcoming month. I need it to buy food and to pay the rent."

"Oh, but we need to buy food and pay rent too, and we don't have a pension. It would be fair if you gave it all to us. Or do you want to get hurt?", the middle hood said. The three moved in, determined to handle the business fast and find a drier place.

The old lady looked at the sharp knives and inched backwards: "Don't hurt me. I've done nothing wrong."

Suddenly, she heard running feet behind her. She looked over her shoulder into the dark. A strange figure appeared, dressed in white, with a cap that only left the eyes free, wearing two big swords crossed on his back. He (the old lady presumed it was a 'he') stopped next to her, took position with one foot before the other and both hands held up high to attack, and shouted to the three small criminals: "HA!"

"And who are you?", the old lady asked.

"I'm your saviour."

"And why are you dressed in white pyjamas? Did you just get out of bed? Is that why you're late?", the old lady asked.