Chapter 27: The Lingering Scent

3rd Person's POV

After they were done burying the time capsule under the tree which was beside Musashi Shrine, Mikey took the responsibility to drop Takemichi home by riding on his bike, the CB250T motorcycle. As Takemichi started to apologize to Mikey for all the trouble he gave them, Mikey remarked that it was goodbye, as everyone had their own place, except for Takemichi, who belonged to the future. The Sano boy promised that they would meet again in twelve years, with Toman and Hina, telling a tearful Takemichi that he would protect everyone this time around. Smiling, he then told Takemichi not to be reluctant to leave, as Hina was waiting for him there, back in 2018.

The next day, it was now March 16th, 2006 when Takemichi and Chifuyu were hanging out while riding a bicycle. Takemichi then told Chifuyu that he must time leap to which Chifuyu, responded that he was going to miss him but only for Takemichi to reveal that he wished he could go back to three days ago. White Day was three days ago, but Takemichi forgot to give Hina a gift on that day and this left Chifuyu completely unamused. Takemichi then started to panic after thinking Hina would be mad he forgot, and in his panic, forgot to steer the wheel causing them to crash and fall on the ground.

As they both sat down after the crash, Chifuyu had an excellent idea to make up for the gift: a scavenger hunt that eventually would lead to Takemichi's present for Hina which was a promise ring. They were both extremely excited by this idea and immediately started preparing for the hunt. 

Later Hina arrived and Chifuyu hid in a nearby bush while Takemichi went to greet her. Takemichi was getting ready to apologize, but to his surprise, Hina bowed her head and started apologizing for being so gloomy. She admitted that she had been unable to sleep ever since Kisaki's death and blamed herself for both his and Emma's death. Chifuyu, on the other hand, was completely mystified by what was happening.

Takemichi then decided to drop the whole scavenger hunt and led Hina directly to the present, with Chifuyu, from behind the bushes, trying to tell him to stick to the plan. Takemichi took out the ring from the box, professing that even though he was nobody special, there was no one in the world who wanted to make Hina happy more than he did. He then proposed to her, asking her to marry him in 12 years' time to which Hina accepted his proposal.

Later Naoto arrived at the scene and reacted in shock when he learned of Takemichi's plans to marry his sister, who reassured Naoto that it would be later in the future while Chifuyu also remarked that Takemichi's proposal came as a surprise to him as well. Takemichi apologized to Naoto for the inconvenience of calling him out to shake his hand. As he held out his hand, Takemichi told Naoto that because they had their first handshake on the playground, they should have their last one there too. He thanked Naoto for believing in him, crediting that belief to the successful events; when Naoto asked if this meant that he and Hina were saved, Takemichi was confident in that belief. As he shook hands with Naoto, Takemichi smiled at Chifuyu and Hina, promising to meet them in the future.

When Takemichi finally went back to the future (meaning March 16th, 2018), he found himself in a bathroom, standing in front of a wash basin and a mirror where he could see his own reflection on it. At that moment, instead of blonde hair, he had his old messy, black hair while also wearing a proper, clean tuxedo at the same time. Turning off the running faucet, Takemichi realized he was back from the past.

I'm back... That means Naoto without a doubt is alive!! But why am I in a tuxedo? And where am I...?

And just then a wedding bell went off and the ringing sound made him realize that he was currently at a wedding chapel.

A tuxedo... and the sound of bells... Huh? Is this... No way!!

Remembering his proposal to Hina, Takemichi panicked, thinking that he was at his own wedding, and rushed out of the bathroom. And as soon as he came out, he found a fully adult Hina stomping her way over to him with a frowning face.