Chapter 39: Something About Us

3rd Person's POV (Year 2010 - The New Timeline)

It had been 12 years since Mikey, Takemichi, Baji, and Nana traveled back in time to fix the previous disastrous future from falling apart even further; 7 years since they and the others formed the Tokyo Manji Gang again from scratch; 4 years since their battle with Tenjiku and the Black Dragons; and 2 years since the disbandment of Toman. So much time had passed by since then and so many experiences they encountered all throughout these years. And now that they were out of that delinquent life for good, the time had finally come for them to face and experience a new chapter of their lives which was adulthood.

It was the year 2010 when Nana Osaki and Keisuke Baji became the 3rd year students at Tokyo University located in Bunkyo, Tokyo. In that university, at the age of 20, the mentioned young adults were studying in two separate departments of their personal preferences as they had totally two different dreams that they were following and pursuing. The former Advisor of Toman was majoring in Medicine since she was planning to become a researcher in the future while the former 1st Division Captain was majoring in Veterinary Medicine because he was dreaming of becoming a vet one day, which would give him the opportunity to spend more time with animals.

They weren't a part of the legendary Toman anymore as the infamous delinquent gang was dissolved way back in their high school days when they were at the peak of fame and glory. And soon after the disbandment, almost everyone graduated from high school and went in different directions in life. While people like Nana, Baji, Mitsuya, Chifuyu, Kazutora, Kisaki, Kokonoi, and Takemichi went to attend their preferred colleges or universities inside Tokyo city, others like Mikey, Draken, Izana, and others went in different routes to pursue their own dreams and passions.

Now coming back to the two main protagonists (Nana and Baji), on one fine weekend, Baji went to visit his mother (Ryoko Baji) after getting a phone call from the older woman early that morning. He went to visit her at their old apartment where they once lived together and now Ryoko was the only one living there, all on her own.

Meanwhile, on the other hand, Baji and Nana were now living together in a shared apartment just a bit away from the university campus location. It was something they both decided back when they were in their final year in high school, that they were going to live together once after getting into college. They always wanted to live independently away from their families after becoming college students yet they also wanted to stay with each other since they were dating; so this current living arrangement of theirs was the most convenient way to fulfill their both college and dating life desires with no difficulties whatsoever.

Baji was still out and hadn't returned home yet, so Nana decided to spend her lonely spare time watching TV since she didn't have anything better to do at that moment. Going through the channels with a bored look on her face, the sound of the doorbell suddenly went off and it caught her interest; Baji was back home.

"Welcome back, Kei." Nana greeted him with a smile as she opened the door for him.

"Hey, I'm back..." Baji responded, smiling back at her and immediately Nana noticed something was off about him.

Something seemed different about Baji's smile. It looked a bit tired and forced. Nana wanted to ask if anything was bothering him, or how his visit at his mother's place went but nothing came out of her mouth. She simply let Baji walk into the house before he freshened up and changed his clothes and after that, he joined her on the couch in the living room. The look on his face was telling her that he was feeling conflicted about something.

"Nana, there's something that's been eating me up. Can I talk to you about it?" Baji asked, wearing his infamous frowning expression on his face, and in response, Nana turned down the volume of the TV so that she could pay attention to his words.