Chapter 40: The Grown-Up Way Of Love

3rd Person's POV (Year 2012 – The New Timeline)

Let's get married...

Will you marry me?

Wanna get married?

Marry me...

I think we should get married...

Be my wife...

"What are you writing in your notepad, Baji-kun?" Takemichi suddenly called out and this caused Baji to stop writing on his notepad.

In the year 2012, on one fine day, after finishing their classes at the college for that day, Baji and Takemichi were heading toward their part-time job by traveling on a train. And while on the way, Baji was writing down some important notes for Nana which eventually caught Takemichi's attention.

"Huh? What's this...? Are you still thinking about how you're gonna do this?" Takemichi asked, slightly blinking a bit.

"I just need the proper words to say it. I seriously don't know how to tell her..." Baji sighed in response, pursing his lips to the side.

"I'm sure you'll do it just fine. So, don't worry about it too much." Takemichi reassured him with an encouraging smile but Baji gave him a doubtful look.

"How can you be so sure?" Baji asked, narrowing his eyes in a skeptical manner. 

"Because this is Nana-chan we're talking about..." Takemichi replied as his smile widened a bit. "She's someone who loves you unconditionally from the bottom of her heart. You know, in the previous timeline, when you died, Nana-chan totally lost herself. She became sick and her mental health condition worsened with every passing day. Even though Kazutora-kun and Chifuyu were there to take care of her in your place, they couldn't replace you. Just that much you mean to her, Baji-kun. Her world only revolves around you and no one else. She'll never reject you, ever... I'm sure of it."

Hearing Takemichi's reassuring words brought a smile to Baji's face. Takemichi was absolutely right; Baji should have more faith in himself and also in Nana. Nana won't turn him down like he was thinking. They had been in love for years now. Baji knew very well what kind of person Nana was. What she wanted, what she needed; Baji knew everything. And same went for Nana as well. She also knew everything about him. They were perfect for each other and Baji was aware of it.

Just then Baji snapped out of his own thoughts when he noticed an elderly man, standing a few feet away from him, was staring at the already filled-up seats of the train. The train was jam-packed at that very moment and so the elderly man didn't have a place to sit down on.

"Sir, you have been standing there for a while now. Would you like to sit?" Baji asked the elderly man politely, getting up from his seat.

The elderly man stared at him for a while, contemplating whether to take Baji's offer or not before finally speaking up.

"Granny, you sit here." The elderly man stated and from the crowd beside him, he pulled an elderly woman towards the now empty seat, someone whom Baji didn't notice earlier.

"No, you should sit down. You have a bad back." The elderly woman stated and it seemed like these two elderly people were a married couple.

"You said your knees hurt. Stop talking back and just sit down." The elderly man scoffed and with that let his wife sit on the empty spot.

"You are a stubborn old man." The elderly woman sighed heavily, plopping on the seat.

"Excuse me, Sir. Please take my seat." Takemichi stated, quickly getting up from his seat as well.