Chapter 35: Them Against The World

Whatever you lack, I got you. We'll balance each other out. Minor setback? Guess we'll make a major comeback. Bad day? Well, I promise you a better night. You need support? I'll be your backbone. I'll keep you motivated and at the top, always. As long as you have me, you don't ever have to doubt my loyalty. You got me and I got us. 

- Keisuke Baji

Nana's POV

"Takemichi..." I called out to my blonde time leaper friend in concern when I noticed Manjiro slowly taking his fighting stance as soon as Takemichi challenged him again to another duel, my eyes glued on Manjiro's form as I furrowed my eyebrows a bit. "I don't think this is a good idea. You shouldn't fight Manjiro right now. I feel like something bad is gonna happen."

"I can't back down this time, Nana-chan!" Takemichi responded back in a determined tone with a deep frowning face, also taking his fighting stance beside me. "I promised you and Baji-kun that I'll save Mikey-kun. I promised myself that I'll change the future."

"But Manjiro's gonna kill you, Takemichi!" I stated in a desperate tone when I noticed Manjiro's aura had started to change.

The eyes of the Sano boy started to become vacant and hollow again and it seemed as if he was getting consumed by the spirals of darkness and evil. He was allowing himself to be completely taken over by his dark impulses. To me, it seemed like Manjiro's face was turning into something demonic as a menacing grin was forming on his lips. He was finally giving in to his dark impulses.

"N-Nana, move away from there! Mikey's gonna attack now!" Kazutora called out in panic but I ignored him.

"Takemichi, listen-" I was about to warn the boy again when suddenly I felt someone come from behind me and wrapped their two strong arms around my waist before lifting me from the ground.

"Let's take you out of here, imotou-chan." Ran stated in a serious yet worried tone, walking away from Takemichi and Manjiro, and I gave him a surprised look over my shoulders.

"Ran, what?! Hey! Put me down!" I snapped at him, struggling in his arms to free myself from his hold but it was of no use.

Ran brought me to where Wakasa, Benkei, and Rindo were standing, far away from Manjiro and Takemichi, and then threw me into Benkei's muscular arms who immediately secured his firm hold around my form.

"Don't let her go, Benkei-kun." Ran stated in a serious tone with a neutral look on his face and this was my first time seeing this look on him. "Besides, she's too strong for me to hold back."

"What- What's wrong with you guys?!" I snapped again, squirming around in Benkei's arms before looking at the man over my shoulders. "Benkei, please let me go! I need to stop Manjiro and Takemichi!"

"We can't do that, Nana." Benkei responded back in concern.

"It's dangerous for you to be out there when Mikey's like this." Wakasa added, furrowing his eyebrows a bit, also looking serious.

"You guys don't understand! Takemichi's life is in danger!" I shot out with a scowling face.

"And yours not?!" Rindo fired back, scoffing. "Listen, Nana. Big bro and I had never been good brothers to you but we still love and care about you. We don't wanna see you die in front of our eyes."

"B-But... but..." I trailed off in a shaky tone with small tears forming in my eyes.

And just then the brawl started. Manjiro immediately lunged at Takemichi with Haruchiyo's katana in his hands and proceeded to attack Takemichi relentlessly while laughing to himself like a maniac. Takemichi tried to attack Manjiro again and again, but each time he was inflicted with a new injury from Mikey by the katana.