Friday January 6, 2006

Valerie

It's Friday afternoon. I'm in a living room full of people. There is laughter and crying. My smile is not really present and I try hard to hold back my tears. I'm not very good at saying goodbye. Especially not when it comes to one of my best friends, Sofia. I've known Sofia since I moved down the street eight years ago. We clicked from the start. She really means everything to me. We are always there for each other when needed, but that is about to change now. Sofia has found the love of her life. Of course that was not possible here in the Netherlands. No, apparently I attract friends who seek their happiness abroad. Of course I am very happy for Sofia and Brent is also a really sweet and nice man. I just wish I didn't have to put Sofia on a plane to Canada later.

I just ran out of the living room. It became a bit too much for me and I need a moment of silence around me. I walk into the kitchen and there I see someone sitting on the counter. "Isn't it Melissa?". she looks at me surprised. "Um yes. How do you know my name? And if I'm not mistaken you are Valerie". I nod with a small smile on my face. " Totally correct. Sofia has sometimes mentioned your name when she talks about Emma". Emma is Sofia's sister and Melissa is Emma's best friend. "Do you have a problem if I sit down for a while?" She shakes her head and moves a little to make room for me. "Enough of all people?". I sigh and sit next to her on the counter. "Yes, but it was just a bit too much for me". She nods in understanding. " You know you can still see and talk to her every day, right? I understand that it is different, but she does not suddenly disappear from your life". She tries to say it to cheer me up, but the way she says it makes it seem like there's more to it. A pain she really doesn't want to show. "The time difference will make it difficult. I've experienced it once before. My best friend left for Egypt. We would always keep in touch. Well that took a month or two. Never heard from her again after that. But I do assume that Sofia and I will keep in touch as normal. Have you ever experienced something like this?" She shrugs. "I never said goodbye". Again I feel a pain behind that statement, but I don't think she wants to talk about it.

"Shouldn't you be in the living room?" I'll just change the subject. She shakes her head with a small smile. "Sofia doesn't want me there. I'm only there for Emma when she needs me". I look at her questioningly. "Sofia and I don't really like each other." "Why not?". She shrugs. "Sometimes people just don't like each other and that's a good thing. Imagine if you could get along with everyone, then you had people around you all day long. I should not think about it". she says laughing. I can laugh about that too. "Not everyone's friend, then?". She shakes her head. "I have Emma and that is more than enough. You already have your hands full with that one and slurp all your energy out of your body". She says it with a laugh, but I'm kind of touched that she says she only has Emma. "Yes, I heard that". Melissa smiles and looks at Emma, who has entered the kitchen. " I do not know what you're talking about. I was just telling Valerie how happy I am with you". Emma walks towards us and stands between Melissa's legs. " Yes, because after a day with me you can sleep well, because you have no energy left. But I'm happy with you too." she says with a smile. Melissa wraps her arms around Emma and kisses her on the head. " And I with you. How are you?". Emma shrugs. "It's hard, but I'll get through it. I'm glad you're there for me." I see Melissa grab Emma a little tighter. "It's the least I can do. You are the only one who is always there for me." And again I feel that pain.

I think their friendship is nice to see. Emma is fifteen and Melissa is around the same age, but I don't know exactly. Their friendship is really very close. I think many people should take an example from it. I've also had good friendships and in the past, but never as close as what I see with those two. "But what are you doing here and not in the living room?". Melissa shrugs. "You know your sister isn't waiting for me and I keep Valerie talking". Emma looks up at Melissa in surprise, before breaking free from her arms. She then sits down across from us on the kitchen table. "What, you and voluntarily keep someone talking?". Melissa sighs. "Is there something wrong with that?". Emma shakes her head with a smile. " No not at all. Val, what did you give her?" I look questioningly at Emma. "Mel here never talks to people, so you must have given her something or promised something". I can laugh about it. I also like that comment. So it means that Melissa doesn't actually talk to people like that, but she seems to be talking to me without any problems. Judging by Melissa's face, she didn't really like that Emma said that." Then maybe I'm not human. I don't know what I am, but I'm glad she was able to take my mind off things for a while". Melissa looks at me with a small smile. You're welcome!". "So here you are. I was looking for you everywhere. It's time to go". Sighing, I lower myself from the counter and walk over to Sofia. I give her a big hug. "I'm going to miss you so damn much." She hugs me tightly too. "Me too, but we'll keep in touch. We really have to go now or I will miss my flight". I look at her with a small smile. "Then I will stay a little longer, so that you miss your flight". She shakes her head with a smile. I'll let her go anyway. Unfortunately, it is really time to take her to the airport.