Friday, August 25, 2006

Melissa

I'm surprised I'm awake before Valerie and Rose. Although Rose already knows quite a bit about sleeping through these days, but Valerie is usually awake early. It got pretty late last night, so that must be the reason she's not downstairs yet. I move as quietly as possible to the kitchen. It takes me fifteen minutes to prepare breakfast when I turn around. I'm terrified. "How long have you been standing there?". Valerie is leaning against the door frame and has a big smile on her face. "Normally we first start with a good morning". she says as she walks towards me. "Good morning Valerie. How long have you been standing there?" She kisses me on my forehead. "Good morning Melissa. Slept good?". Valerie sits down on the counter. I pour a cup of coffee and then hand it to Valerie. "I had a great night's sleep, did you? And I still haven't had an answer." She looks at me with a smile. "I also slept very well. I can get used to waking up like this. To what do I owe this?". I shrug. In the meantime I'm still getting the last things ready. "I actually woke up earlier. So I thought it was my turn to prepare breakfast." I stand in front of her and cross my arms. "But now I still don't have an answer to my question. How long had you been standing there Mrs van Buren?" Valerie shakes her head with a smile. " Oh sorry. I hear Rose upstairs". She doesn't know how fast she has to get off the counter to get out of the kitchen. Which makes me sure that she had been there for a while and therefore saw how I was doing. Humming and dancing. I also really wonder how I am so cheerful so early in the morning. And of course Valerie has to see that.

The three of us are having breakfast and Valerie keeps smiling at me the whole time. " What?". Her smile grows even bigger. "I can still see how you were doing all the time. You have good moves". she says with a wink. I feel my cheeks turning red. So she really saw it. "That you just had to see that". I say sighing. " Yep. Lucky me". I shake my head with a smile. Valerie seems to really enjoy it too. I think this was also the first time she had seen me so free, especially so early in the day. "But I'll stop talking about it. I can see that you feel a bit uncomfortable about it". I give her a small nod. She's got that right. It's a side of me that hasn't been seen for a long time and doesn't really know how to deal with it myself. It was a wonderful feeling, but also strange to feel so free and cheerful again.

"Do you have plans for today?". I shrug. " Emma is actually free all day. We have agreed to meet her at eleven o'clock, but we do not know yet what we are going to do". Valerie stands up and begins to clear the table. "Then I know what you are going to do?". I look at her questioningly. " At eleven o'clock you pick up Emma and then you come here. Make sure you bring swimming gear". I try to find out what she's up to, but she doesn't say anything else. All she said is that we're not going to the pool. So I will let me surprise. We're going to spend the day with the four of us anyway, so that's always good.

I stayed with Valerie until about ten o'clock. I played the piano again for a while and mainly played with Rose. Rose is really the sweetest and cutest child you can imagine. I quickly went to get my swimming gear. At exactly eleven o'clock I am at Emma's door. "You have to pack your swimming gear". I say as soon as she opens the door for me. "Oh?". I make a motion with my hands for her to hurry up. "Val's order. We are now expected to be with her with our swimming gear". Emma looks at me with a smile. "She didn't let you go last night, did she?" I shake my head. "But hurry up now." Laughing, Emma turns and runs towards her bedroom. In a few minutes she is back and we walk to Valerie's house.