Monday, September 3, 2007

Valerie

I still have an hour to go. Luckily I have a free our now. Since lunch break, all I've been thinking about is Melissa. I'm on my way to my mom's office to hopefully change that. I knock gently. " Hey honey. What can I do for you? ". As soon as I open the door I am greeted with a smile. "Mom can I disturb you for a moment? ". I ask with a deep sigh. "You can always disturb me. Especially if you call me mom here. What's going on sweetie? ". I close the door and sigh as I sit in the chair across from her. "Mom, would it be a problem if a student came to live with me? ". My mother looks at me for a moment and gets a smile on her face." Melissa? ". I nod. "Has nothing changed yet? ". I shake my head. "She can stay with Emma until Sunday. She has to leave where she is now. After that she has nothing. I don't want her living on the street". I briefed my mom about Melissa's situation this holiday. I just had to talk to someone about it. I know I can trust my mother in that.

She got up and walked around her desk. Where she now leans against next to me. "I have no problem if you take her in, but are you careful? ". I look at her questioningly. "She is not yet eighteen". she says very lightly. " So? ". She gives me a small smile. "sweetie you know you can always tell me anything". I nod and I feel myself getting nervous. I try to keep breathing calmly, but if that doesn't work, my mother goes down on her knees. She sits in front of me and takes my hands. "Valerie look at me". I look into my mother's eyes. Which makes me feel a lot calmer right away. So much love for her daughter shines from her eyes. "I really like her mom". I say in a trembling voice and tears run down my cheeks. "I know that sweetie". I look at her with wide eyes. " How? ". She gives me a smile. "I am your mother for that. And I can't blame you. Melissa is also a really nice girl". " Are not you angry? ". She shakes her head hard. "What should I be angry about? ". I shrug. "Well, I can give you a few reasons. She's not a man. She's a lot younger, not to mention she's my student." My mother nods. "Yes I know all that. But I also see the way you look at her, the way you always talk about her. I'm your mother and all I want is for you to be happy. I love you anyway Valerie". After she says that I give her a big hug and more tears come out. "Thank you mom, I love you too". I let her go. "And what does my boss say about this? ". She smiles and gets up to sit back in her seat. "Your boss knows nothing about this". she says with a wink. "Mom.... ". She shakes her head before I can continue. " Valerie you have already thrown away so many years. It's about time you start being happy and make your own choice with whom you want to be with. From what I can see I really think Melissa can make you happy and Rose loves her too". My tears flow again. " Thank you mom ". Can I get it out half sobbing." Darling dry those tears. It's time to shine. Or should I call Melissa over here, then I'm sure you'll shine again soon." I look at her with wide eyes. "If you let it. You keep out of this. I'm not even sure she shares my feelings. I don't want to jump into anything right away anyway. Most of all I have to think about Rose and it's not just a risk to myself". My mother nods in understanding and at that moment the bell rings. " I have to go. Thanks mom I really needed this". We both get up and give each other a hug and then I quickly go back to my classroom.

Class is over for five minutes. I'm sorting out my stuff a bit and giving it a place. "Was your day also that hectic?". Anne asks. "No, it's not too bad. Why, was yours so bad?". She drops onto my office chair. "Oh yeah, I forgot that you don't have any first graders". I look at her smiling. "I almost feel sorry for you. Do you at least have a nice mentor group?". She nods and we talk some more until Emma enters the room. " Am I interrupting? ". I shake my head. " I could use some help". Emma sighs exaggeratedly. "Who says I feel like it". she says as she sits down on a table. "Sorry, of course you had a very hard day at school". I say laughing and sit on a table opposite her. "Yeah pff I have no energy left". She says with a big smile. "Oh sorry I didn't see you Miss Martins. Am I really not disturbing?". Emma sees Anne and they look at each other for a moment. Then Emma quickly turns her face in my direction and Anne stands up. "I'll leave you to alone for a while. I have to do some things anyway. I'll talk to you later Valerie". Anne says as she walks towards the door. "Have a nice day Emma". She says just before she walks away and looks at Emma with a smile. I see Emma's face turn a little red, but I don't go into it.

"But tell me. Are you just coming to keep me company or is there something else? ". Looks like she needs to get back on her feet. I have to restrain myself from laughing. "What, can't I just come and see you? ". I nod. "But yes, you are right. Did Melissa talk to you? ". I nod again. Emma gets up annoyed. "I wish Mrs. Morrison wouldn't be so difficult. Mel isn't a burden to anyone. You can barely notice she's there. I can't put her out on the street like that at the end of the week. I don't understand how Mrs Morrison can do that". In saying it half screaming she kicks some chairs. It just shows how much she cares about her best friend. "Emma you can't blame her. You yourself know how hard she has it to keep it all running and is bound by the rules ". She sighs deeply. "Yeah I know that too, but I'm just worried about Melissa. I don't know if you noticed, but she's lost quite a bit of weight again. You can even count her ribs now". I nod and Emma sits back down on the table. "It is indeed good to see that she has lost weight again. I may have a solution, but I don't know if she will like it." Emma looks at me questioningly. "What kind of solution do you have? You know she doesn't want to go to a foster home or shelter." I nod and run my hand through my hair. "I uhm... want to ask if she wants to come and live with Rose and me". Emma looks at me with wide eyes. " Are you serious? ". I nod. Now a smile appears on Emma's face. "Why do you think she doesn't like that? ". I sigh. "You know how Mel is". She nods. " I know. She doesn't want to bother you with anything, but this would be the ideal solution. Are you really sure you want to do that and won't you get into trouble? ". I shake my head. "I can't let her go out on the street. Later on I asked my mother if she had any objections and that was not the case". Emma gets up and gives me a hug. " You're truly amazing. Did you already know that ". I smile. "I just love helping people I care about". Emma lets go of me and looks at me with a smile. " What? ". She shakes her head. " No nothing. I wanted to say something, but never mind". I look at her questioningly and then she walks to the door. " I have to go. I see you tomorrow ". With that said, she is gone too.