Thursday, November 1, 2007

Melissa

Valerie and I dawdled a little too hard this morning. That's why we're a bit late or actually just Valerie. She always likes to be in her classroom half an hour before the lessons start, to prepare everything. That's why I said that I'm taking Rose, who is now walking next to me by my hand, to school today. Luckily it's only a five minute walk from my school. I find it a bit exciting. I've picked up Rose before, but never brought her to school. "Do you feel like it too go to school, princess?". Rose nods enthusiastically. I hope she always stays as excited about school, if she has been from day one. "Is Lissa coming in with me?". I look at her with a smile. "Does mommy always do that?" She shakes her head. "Then I don't think Lissa should do that either". I see Rose's face is a bit sad. "But Lissa can come along". She says as she looks at me with puppyeyes. When she looks at me like that, I can't refuse her anything. "Would you like me to come in with you?" Her head bobs up and down quickly. "Okay princess, we'll do that anyway". A big smile appears on her face and she starts walking happily. Which also puts a big smile on my face.

Rose pulls me by my hand to the right classroom. Fortunately, I see that I am not the only one who goes inside to take a child to school. When I arrive at the right classroom, I help Rose to hang up her coat and bag. "I think I see a new face". How shocked I look back and it looks like it was indeed addressed to me. The woman, I'm guessing about fifty years old, holds out her hand to me. "Margaret Miller". she says as I shake her hand. Then she looks at Rose with a friendly smile on her face. "Who did you bring, Rose?". I feel like the woman is studying me a bit. "Mrs., this is Lissa". The teacher nods. "Oh, I've heard that name before. The babysitter?". I feel a little uncomfortable, especially because of the tone of her question. Like she's fishing for something. I'm glad Rose is impatiently pulling my hand. "Lissa come now". I look at Rose with a smile and then I look at the woman again. "It was nice to meet Rose's teacher". Before she can respond, I let Rose take me into the room.

There she enthusiastically shows me her place. "I really have to go princess. Lissa also has to go to school". Rose gives me a big hug. "I'm going to miss Lissa when I'm with daddy". My heart melts. I really need to swallow my tears. How could his little girl have already won this big place in my heart. I get down on my knees so I can give her a good hug. "I'm going to miss you too, princess. You're going to have a great time with Daddy, as always. And then I will pick you up again on Monday". I kiss her forehead and then stand up. I see the teacher looking at us, but I don't care. I walk to the door of the room. I turn around again to wave to Rose. She waves back enthusiastically and blow me a kiss. I do the same and then I really have to rush to get to class on time.

I'm two minutes late. I'm a bit surprised that Anne opens the door. I don't normally have lessons from her, but I'm guessing she fills in for our class. Which I am happy with now. We didn't really get along at first. At school she is really strict and sometimes even a bit of a bitch. She can also sometimes rant against students and she knows exactly not to go over the edge. Since I've been living with Valerie, we see each other more often outside of school. Actually, she is quite relaxed and you can have her with you. "Sorry. I had to take Rose to school". She gives me an understanding nod. "Sit down quickly. This time I will overlook your disturbing my lesson". I quickly walk to my seat and am glad to see Emma sitting there. She has a smile on her face, so that's all right. "Why is she getting away with it?" I sigh when I hear Caroline yell through the class. "Because Melissa isn't late because her make-up wasn't right yet". With a smile I shake my head at Anne's comment. "But if you mind me spending the last hour here alone, you're welcome to join me." Caroline shakes her head at Anne. "Then I'd keep my mouth shut if I were you and go do your work. Maybe you'll get a good grade sometime." I look at Emma with a smile. "What did you do to her yesterday? She's doing well". I whisper to her. Emma has a beautiful smile on her face. "Melissa I can still hold you for an hour". I look up to Anne. "Sorry Miss Martins". I'll just keep quiet for now and hear from Emma later. I don't feel like my school day is an hour longer today.