Thursday, June 21, 2007

Valerie

Sander and I have just had a whole fight. He wanted to force me to do something that I absolutely don't feel like doing. Especially after the comment that it's been four weeks since my father passed away and I could now pick up my life again, I was completely done with it. If only he knew how I'm finally going to get on with my life. I just turned on the TV so that peace can return a bit when my phone rings. "Hey Emma how are you?". I say as soon as I see who's calling. " Hi Val. I'm fine. Only not with Melissa". I'm all ears right away. "What's with her?" "I think she's got the flu. I've already tried to see if she can come home with me, but Mrs. Morrison won't have it. She is afraid that Melissa will infect everyone. You know how she is. Melissa is now mad at me for calling you, but maybe she can sleep on the couch with you? I really wouldn't ask you if it wasn't necessary." I glance at Sander, who looks at me questioningly. I'm not sure if I should discuss it with him, but I know what my answer will be. "Yes, of course she can. Do I have to pick her up or will she come here herself?". I hear Emma and Melissa discussing on the other end of the line. " Emma where are you? I'll come get her." I say as soon as I hear that Melissa isn't really cooperating. "We are in the park". "Okay, I'll be there in fifteen minutes". With that said I hang up.

" What is going on?". Sander asks as soon as I get up. "Melissa is sick and needs a place to sleep. I'm going to pick her up now so she can sleep here on the couch". Sandra sighs. "And we don't discuss that first?". I shake my head. "You will be gone for a few days from tomorrow morning and she has nowhere else to go". Even if she could go somewhere else, I would have Melissa come here. " Why can't she just crawl into bed at home? ". I already have my keys in hand and am standing at the front door. "Her parents are not home. She can't stay home alone for the night if she's sick." Without waiting for a response I walk out the front door and get into my car.

Not much later I arrive at the park. I can see Emma and Melissa sitting right away. I quickly walk that way. It is easy to see that Melissa is really not fit. "Valerie what are you doing here?". she asks with a deep sigh. " I will pick you up. You will sleep on the couch with me tonight". She shakes her head. "That's really not necessary." I give her a small smile and sit next to her. I put my arm around her and she immediately leans against me. I immediately feel how warm she is. "If Emma has to call me for it, then it is necessary". I give Emma a wink, because I already realize that Melissa is stubborn again. I'm also sure those two have been here discussing for a long time. " I do not want to bother you". Comes out to Melissa very softly. "You don't. You are always welcome and you know it. Emma and I just want you to have a little more supervision right now so we can make sure you get well soon. So are you coming?" It takes a moment, but then she nods anyway. In the meantime she has crept even closer to me. "Can you walk yourself or do I have to lift you?". Melissa moves her face away from me and looks at me with a small smile. "The self-walking will just go". I give her a kiss on her forehead. " Oke. I'm with the car, so you don't have to walk far". We get up and walk towards the car. Emma walks next to me and puts an arm over my shoulders. " Thank you. I really didn't know what else I should have done". she whispers to me. "I'm glad you called." Emma and I have already arrived at the car. I shake my head with a smile, when I see how Melissa is also slowly trudging along.

When we got home we said goodbye to Emma and are now going inside. "Sorry I didn't ruin your evening, did I?". Melissa asks shyly, when she sees Sander sitting on the couch. "No, Lis. Don't worry about that now." I can tell Melissa is uncomfortable. She has now seen Sander about three times and it doesn't really seem to click between them. "Would you like to take a shower first or should I make you something to eat or drink?". She shakes her head. "I really really want to sleep". she says almost whispers. I give her a small smile. " Okay. take a seat. I'll grab some stuff for you upstairs." Without saying anything else, she takes a seat on the couch.

I'm in my bedroom getting Melissa some pajamas and a blanket. "You can also let her sleep here". I look annoyed at Sander, who apparently followed me. "Yes, you would like that. I think I was very clear before." I hear him sigh deeply and luckily he then walks away. Not much later I hear that he slams the door of his bedroom. Fortunately, Rose didn't wake up because of it. I grab Melissa's things and go back downstairs. I first walk through the kitchen to get her an glass of water and an aspirin.

As soon as I enter the living room I see Melissa get up again. "You can stay down." I say with a small smile. "I don't think your husband is very happy." She says a bit unsure. "That's his problem. Don't mind. Sander and I have had a discussion all evening, so you are actually my savior now". I say with a small smile. "I really don't bother, do I?". I shake my head. I put an arm around her and pull her towards me. "You never bother and you know it. You now take the aspirin first and put on something easy. Then you can lie down here and sleep. Hopefully you'll feel a little better tomorrow." I feel her nod slightly as she snuggles even closer to me. "You know that if you stay like that with the few minutes you sleep?". I feel her nod again. I kiss her on the head. "Lis you really need to take that aspirin". She sighs when I say that after a few minutes. She pulls away from me and then takes the aspirin anyway. "Here are pajamas. You know the way to change." I hand Melissa the pajamas I have next to me. She takes it and stands up. "Lis, Sander can come in". I say as soon as I notice that she is going to undress here. "Yes, sorry, but I have no energy left. It is also not the case that he will see something that he has not seen before". Well, I don't know if he's ever seen an beautiful body like hers. I try not to look at it, but it's hard to take my eyes off her. "Um. I'm just going to bed. Sleep well and you know that you only have to call if something is wrong". I get up quickly and walk out of the living room. I had a really hard time holding myself back.

I've been under a cold shower for a while and have been staring at the ceiling for at least an hour now. I get up and go down as quietly as possible. I make myself a cup of hot chocolate and then make my way to the living room. Fortunately, Melissa is sleeping soundly. I take a seat on the armchair and turn on the small light above it. Then I pick up a book. "Can't you sleep?" How startled I look up at Melissa after at least an hour or two. I shake my head. " How do you feel?". She sits up and shrugs. "Fortunately a little better. What's wrong with you?" I sigh. " Nothing". She gives me a small smile. "You are not very good at lying, Mrs van Buren". I shake my head with a smile. Melissa taps the couch next to her. I get up and sit next to her. Melissa immediately crawls close to me. "Val, what's wrong with you?" I gently caress her back. "Nothing you need to worry about". She pulls away from me and looks at me. "Your husband treats you well, doesn't he?" I nod with a smile on my face. " I can see that you know that my marriage is not optimal. That's not because Sander is bad for me. Sometimes it's just heavy, I can't explain more to you unfortunately. In any case, it's not something you need to worry about." And thankfully I not for too long. "But it keeps you awake". I shake my head with a smile. "The only one keeping me awake right now is you. I want to make sure you feel good." Melissa doesn't react to it and just snuggles closer to me.

Melissa fell asleep in my arms pretty quickly. I enjoyed the feeling she gives me for a while and then I went upstairs again. I don't want Sander to see me downstairs with Melissa. I also hope he just lets her sleep and leaves in the morning without too much noise.