Saturday, September 8, 2007

Melissa

I've been out with Emma all day today. We found some nice things for my bedroom. I still think it's a strange idea to call it that, but I've decided that this is going to be a new start for me. I took Emma out to dinner to thank her for everything. After that I went home with her to give Mrs. Morrison a bunch of flowers, to thank her for the past week. I'm in the back of the car with Emma right now. Jack, one of her foster brothers, was kind enough to be our taxi driver today. We are in front of Valerie's house. Or should I call it my house now? I don't know. A week ago I never would have expected this. It's all pretty much what's coming at me at the moment. "Are you planning on going in or are you going to stay here all night? ". Emma asks me laughing. I look at her in surprise. "We've been here for at least five minutes." " Serious? ". She nods. "You were completely in your own world for a while. Where were you? ". I shrug. " That I couldn't imagine this a week ago ". Emma gives me a hug. "Me neither and I'm so happy for you. That you now have a safe place where you can stay". I let go of her and look at her. "I don't know what I would do without you and Val". She's giving me a little nudge now. "Just go in now. Otherwise I'm going to cry". I bend over and kiss her cheek. " I'll talk to you ". I get out and wave Emma goodbye until she's out of sight. I walk past an unfamiliar car towards the front door. Valerie will have visitors then.

I open the front door and hear a lot of laughter coming from the kitchen. I'd prefer to go straight upstairs, but I promised Valerie I'd let you know when I got back. I hang my coat on the coat rack and put my shoes under it. I put my bag with things by the stairs. I go to the kitchen a little nervous. "Ah look who we got there". I'm a little scared though. "Hi Miss Smith. Am I not interrupting? ". I say to the principal of the school. I know she's Valerie's mother, but I hadn't thought about bumping into her here. There is another woman and from her appearance she is Valerie's sister. " No of course not. Come and join us ". I look a little unsure at Valerie. She gets up and walks towards me. "Sorry I forgot to tell you. We get together every Saturday night". She takes my hand. "Come, then you can meet my sister and my mother". She takes me by the hand to the dining room table. "I can just go upstairs. I don't want to disturb you". I whisper to her softly. She just looks at me with a small smile. We arrived at her sister who stands up and holds out her hand. I'll take it. "Hey I'm Chloe. Nice to meet you. I have already heard a lot about you". I glance at Valerie and see her blush a little. "That's enough, Chloe. So this is Melissa. Mom I don't really need to introduce you". Says Valerie a bit nervous. I see her mother get up and walk towards me. Completely unexpectedly she gives me a hug. " Here I like to be called Claire and I am Valerie's mother. So not the principal of the school. I'm glad you accepted my daughter's offer. At least now there is someone who can look after her". She says laughing as she lets go of me. "Mom... please what did I just say". Valerie says with a sigh. "Nice to meet you and then I'll go upstairs. Have a nice evening ". I turn and quickly walk away.

"Why don't you come and sit down with us? We could use an extra player." It's Chloe who says it. I take a look at Valerie. She comes walking towards me. "You are welcome to join us. I would like it." She whispers to me with a sweet smile on her face. I give her a nod. " Okay. Am I really not bothering you or am I not disturbing you? ". I ask a bit unsure. She shakes her head and takes my hand. "They just can't stand losing a game." I stop and rub my hand against my neck. " What is?". I give Valerie a small smile. "Um, can you come with me first?". I ask softly. She nods and then looks at the other two. "We'll be right back." After she said that I take her by the hand. " What is going on?". I can tell Valerie is concerned. I say nothing.

When we are in the hallway I let go of her hand and walk to my things. "I-I bought you something, but I don't know how long it will last without water." I turn around with six roses in my hand. A big smile appears on Valerie's face and see her blush a bit. I think she knows what six roses stand for. " Thank you. You really shouldn't have done that." I walk over to give her the roses. "I know, but I wanted to. I wanted to thank you for everything, but especially for coming into my life." Valerie gives me a big hug. "I am also very happy that you came into my life". she whispers. After a while she lets go of me and looks at me with a sweet smile. I can also see that she has some watery eyes. "You make it even more difficult to get through those three months. We'd better get back to the kitchen." she says with a smile. She takes the bunch of roses and kisses my forehead.

Valerie grabs my hand and we walk together to the kitchen. "Uhm, do you think it would be wise to walk into the kitchen with those roses?". Valerie looks at the roses and then smiles at me. "I will have to put them on the water anyway. I don't care if they see it either. They are much too beautiful not to show." I don't have time to respond to it anymore, because we're already stepping into the kitchen. Valerie lets go of my hand so I can sit down at the dining table and she herself walks to the counter. "Val, do you have an admirer that we know nothing about?" Valerie looks back at Chloe with a smile. "I got them from Melissa". Chloe then looks at me in surprise. I feel my cheeks turning red. "I wanted to thank her for everything." Chloe gets a smile on her face. "Okay , what can I do for you? Then maybe I'll get a nice bunch of flowers sometime. I can't remember the last time my husband brought me flowers." She says laughing. Which we can all laugh about. "At least he's done that before. It's the first time for me that I get a bunch of flowers outside my birthday." Valerie says it when she sits down next to me. I look at her a bit surprised when I hear her say that. "Val, how many are there?" Shit. When Chloe asks that it probably means she knows what it means. That with six roses you say you like that person very much. "Six." Says Valerie, blushing. I can't really read Chloe's look. Valerie looks at me with a sweet smile.

"Melissa would you like a drink? ". I wake up from my staring and want to get up when Claire asks. "No, sit down. I'll get it for you". I give her a shy smile. "A glass of milk please". Valerie starts laughing. "I really need to get more milk in the house". I look shyly at the table. "Sorry. I'll go to the store myself tomorrow." I say softly. Valerie puts an arm over my shoulders and pulls me closer to her. " No way. I am glad that you are forcing my cartons of milk and not the bottles of wine". she whispers in my ear. I look at her with a smile. "Okay, let's play a game of trivia." Startled, Valerie and I look away from each other when we hear Chloe say that and Claire puts a glass of milk on my table.

Valerie got up to grab the board game. Here I sit nervously in front of Chloe and Claire. "How is my sister as a teacher? ". I give Chloe a little smile. "She's relaxed. Until you start getting on her nerves, then she turns into someone you don't want to argue with." Chloe starts laughing. "Yes, that does sound like Val". What sounds like Val? ". I look behind me and Valerie has re-entered the kitchen. " That you turn into a monster when someone starts to get on your nerves ". Valerie looks at me when Chloe says that. I throw my hands in the air. "Those were not my words". Valerie sits down next to me. "That's a good thing". She says with a sweet smile. "By the way, did I understand correctly that you are going to stop working now". I look at Claire and shake my head. I see Claire looking questioningly at Valerie. "We don't agree on that yet". I sigh when Valerie says that. "Valerie is already hosting me. I don't want her to pay me to babysit. If I look after Rose, I don't want to get paid for it." I see Claire nod in understanding. I feel Valerie's hand on my thigh and she gives me a gentle squeeze. I look at her and she gives me a sweet smile. " Melissa I understand what you mean, but you also have to think about yourself a bit. Your school work will also become even more and your schedule will not really cooperate either. But the main question is. Melissa, if you have the time, do you have a problem babysitting Rose? ". I shake my head hard. " Absolutely not ". Which brings a big smile to the other three. "Okay then we can do it like this, if you agree. If I have your schedule right, you can solve it together Tuesday to Friday. On Monday I can pick up Rose and keep her with me until Valerie is ready. This way, I think you both have enough time to do the work at home as well." Valerie looks at her mother with a big smile. "Can you really do that? ". Her mother nods. " Of course. That way I also have time with my granddaughter". "And I can also help if necessary". Chloe says. Valerie then looks at me. "Do you like that? ". she asks me softly. I nod. "If you entrust your daughter to me. But then I will only be without income". She gives me a hug. " Of course. I entrust everything to you. You know that. We'll talk about your income sometime when it's just the two of us." she whispers in my ear. "Okay now it's really time for a game". It's Chloe who takes us out of our moment.