Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Valerie

I'm in the kitchen with Anne. Actually, we should be working, but my head is not really after it. I hear Melissa and Emma are in the living room. I haven't spoken to Melissa all day. I'm also afraid it won't happen at all tonight. "What is the matter with you? You walk around with a sour face all day long". I refill our glasses of wine and look at Anne with a fake smile. " It's nothing. Melissa and I had a fight yesterday. We haven't had time to talk it out yet." Anne gives me a small smile. "Why don't you do it now?" I shake my head. "I agreed with you to go working. Melissa and Emma are also busy with homework. I don't think Melissa is waiting for me either". I say sighing. " That bad?". I shrug. "Charlotte contacted me again yesterday". I see Anne's surprised look. " After all those years? What did she want from you?" she asks fiercely. "She will apparently be in the country soon. She asked if we could meet, if she could get time in her schedule". Anne shakes her head. "What did you tell her? That you don't have to see her anymore.". Charlotte and Anne used to be good friends. Charlotte also broke contact with Anne out of the blue. "I didn't go into it. Said I'll see it by then. Honestly, I'm not looking forward to it." I can see from Anne that she likes that answer. "I can imagine that. But what does Melissa have to do with this?". I give her a nervous smile. Now I have to be very careful what I say. "Melissa knows that Charlotte has suddenly stopped speaking. Some words were said when I did respond to Charlotte's messages". In any case, I am not lying with this answer. It is indeed the reason why Melissa and I are fighting. Melissa didn't really like it when I responded to Charlotte's messages when we were watching a movie together. We both said things we shouldn't have said. "I'm sure you'll make up. Put it off for a while. You still have a lot of tests that need your attention". Unfortunately, Anne is right about that.

I've been able to focus on work for an hour now. "Do you know what we should do?" I look up at Anne questioningly. "To my house on the beach together this weekend. It's been way too long since we've done that. We can both use it to get some fresh air". I sigh. "How nice your offer may sound, but unfortunately I have to decline it. I really want to talk to Melissa this weekend and not run away from her." She nods in understanding. "Then you ask her to come with us." I look at her with wide eyes. "I don't think she likes it. If there is even a small chance , we should ask Emma along too". Anne looks a bit doubtful. "Then we'll ask her too". " Are you sure?". She gives me a small nod. "How long have those two been together?". I look at her in surprise. I can't help but laugh a little. "You mean together as in girlfriends?". She nods. "Those two are best friends, nothing more." Anne looks at me in disbelief. "Did you really think so?". She nods. I shake my head laughing. "Those two both like someone else". I'm not 100 percent sure about Emma, but there's no other way. "Oh who then?". Anne says suddenly a lot more enthusiastic. "I know that. You will surely find out soon." She looks at me questioningly. "I mean if you really want to ask them to come with us this weekend. Then it will surely being discussed." She gives me a small nod. "You right. Shall we ask them?" I shake my head. "I think it's better if I talk to Melissa alone first". Anne nods in understanding. "Okay, I'll hear it from you later."