Saturday, November 3, 2007

Valerie

Melissa and I walk into the kitchen. There we find Anne and Emma. They are playing cards at the dining table. " Good morning". Melissa says cheerfully. "Are you finally here? Good morning. If you wait a few more minutes, it's good afternoon". I can hear the laughter in Anne's voice. "Sorry we kept you waiting so long." As I say that, I gesture for Melissa to sit down. I walk to the counter to grab our breakfast there. Looks like Anne and Emma have already had breakfast. I can't fault them for that either. "Is everything okay?". I hear Emma ask worriedly. I think you can tell from the eyes of Melissa and me that we cried. I put a plate of breakfast in front of Melissa. Then I wrap my arms around her. "It's going great. We had a very good, but emotional conversation". When I say that, Melissa turns her head to me. Her eyes really shine. I give her a kiss and then I step away from her to grab my own breakfast. As soon as I sit down next to Melissa, Anne starts laughing. "Looks like you had a great time too." I look questioningly at Anne. As soon as she points to her neck I feel my head turn red. I look at Melissa. "Thank you". She gives me a quick kiss. "I'm sorry". She has a much too big big smile on her face to even mean that. "I'll show you where the clean sheets are." I throw a piece of melon at Anne, laughing. "Not necessary. We haven't gone too far." Melissa puts an arm over my shoulders and moves closer to me. She kisses me on my temple. "Val will have me beg for a few more weeks before I can go my way with her". I push her away from me with a smile. "It's not my fault you're still seventeen." Melissa smiles and shakes her head. " No Fortunately not. That would have been very strange." I look at Anne and Emma who also start to laugh louder. "Didn't you go to a mall or something". Anne gets up laughing and also pulls Emma up. "We're already gone. See you in a few hours." As soon as Anne and Emma leave the kitchen, Melissa looks serious. "Sorry, did I go too far?". I start laughing. " No honey. When we entered the kitchen I could see that those two were already to go. And I had to cut the subject in some way so as not to get it even hotter." Melissa nods understandingly with a beautiful smile on her face. I kiss her. "When we finish breakfast, shall we get ready for a walk on the beach?".

Hand in hand we have been walking on the beach for more than half an hour. It really feels so good to not to worrying about anything for a while, but each other. The weather is also really nice. The sun is shining, it is not too cold and there is almost no wind. "Have you already decided what you want to do after this school year?". Melissa shrugs. "I don't really know what I want yet. Maybe I'll wait a year until I really know what I want. That way I can also go to work". I sigh. Melissa suddenly stops and pulls me towards her by my hand. "What's so wrong about me going to work? You work yourself, don't you?" I grab her other hand and look into her eyes. "I work because I like it, Melissa. Not because I have to". Melissa looks at our hands. "You know I don't want to misuse your money." I kiss her on the head. "Yes, Melissa, I know. You don't either. I want to give you the opportunity to do what you like, because I am happy with you". Melissa looks at me with a small smile. "What kind of work would you do if you started working next year?". She shrugs. " I do not know. Maybe something in a restaurant or shop or something". I give her a small smile. "And you like that? Is that something you've always wanted to do?" She shakes her head. "What is something you say I would really like to do?". She shrugs. "In the past I always really wanted to do something in music, but now I don't know what to do it anymore". I nod understandingly. "You still have some time to think about it. A gap year isn't a bad idea either. Not to go to work, but because you deserve a quiet year. You've been through so much in the past few years. You have worked very hard to be where you are today. Which I am so incredibly proud of. You deserve to do nothing for a year. To do fun things". Melissa suddenly grabs me tightly. She hides her face in my neck. "I am so happy with you". I can tell she's crying. I wrap my arms around her and kiss her on the head. "Just think about what you really want. I don't want you to think about the money, but about what you really want." I feel her nod. " Be with you". Then she says softly. I put my fingers under her chin and lift her head slightly. So that we look at each other. "You will be tied to me for the rest of your life anyway. Shall we agree on that?" She nods after which we give each other a lovely kiss.